1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

map work for KS2 Geography

Discussion in 'Geography' started by bellingerc, Feb 17, 2013.

1. bellingerc

bellingerc New commenter

Hi there,
    I have just set myself the target of setting up an scheme of work for teaching map work and atlas skills throughout KS2 and my research has come up against a brick wall :(
    We are currently loosly studying QCA units of work throughout but are aware our map work skill teaching is woefully lacking.
    Bearing in mind the possible introduction of new guidelines with the new National Curriculum AND the fact that we are probably going to extend the KS1 Creative Curriculum into the Juniors, my aim is to construct a suggested set of targets/skills/learning objectives etc that can run alongside any theme or topic we are covering.
    Any ideas, suggestions, resourses, web-links, software etc etc would be much appreciated.
    many thanks.

2. bellingerc

bellingerc New commenter

Hi there,
    I have just set myself the target of setting up an scheme of work for teaching map work and atlas skills throughout KS2 and my research has come up against a brick wall :(
    We are currently loosly studying QCA units of work throughout but are aware our map work skill teaching is woefully lacking.
    Bearing in mind the possible introduction of new guidelines with the new National Curriculum AND the fact that we are probably going to extend the KS1 Creative Curriculum into the Juniors, my aim is to construct a suggested set of targets/skills/learning objectives etc that can run alongside any theme or topic we are covering.
    Any ideas, suggestions, resourses, web-links, software etc etc would be much appreciated.
    many thanks.

3. The ordnance survey website is great and they have also put some teaching resources/activities in the tes resources section.

4. The local library has old OS maps that can be copied or borrowed; you could link map reading to local history. When I did this I was able to use photographs showing what the area used to look like focusing on the area around the school. We had a river near the school and the children's local leisure centre was near the same river so we ended up tracing different places of interest along the way, the topic expanded to learning about the local fishing industry to the number of schools in the area increasing according to employment, the children were able to ask parents and grandparents about what it used to be like leading us onto transport too. We were also able to consider the effects on the environment of the increasing population and modern society and created a map identifying all the recycling bins locally. pick up maps from the local train station and hospital. the library will also have maps showing bus routes, local amenities, etc. The library may even have old arial maps that could be compared to new arial maps helping children to match real life pictures with the drawn map. Other resources include ways of helping children use their mathematical skills to map reading. Find pictures of everyday objects from the side, top and front and create a map using these to help children identify areas using coordinates. some useful websites for ideas and resources: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ http://www.field-studies-council.org/ http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/Pages/default.aspx http://www.garmin.com/uk/geocaching/ Good Luck.

5. Knightsy06

Knightsy06 New commenter

I have just uploaded my planning on this it loosely looks at maps and their uses, involving creating their own 3D maps and subsequently drawing their own OS map from their 3D map. Might be of use??

6. bellingerc

bellingerc New commenter

Thank you! I was particuarly interested in the mapwork progression suggestions and have now cobbled together an outline scheme. many thanks to all.