1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Many vacancies in school in qatar but no expansion

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aakib, Dec 20, 2018.

1. aakib

aakib New commenter

I've just seen many teacher vacancies posted for a school in doha that is highly regarded - the name is an item that helps you navigate.

They're not expanding but there are many vacancies in secondary section- anything to worry about? Anyone know why?worth applying?

You can PM me if you want

Thanks everyone

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

who said it was highly regarded? o_O

Depends how much experience you currently have and if you are new on the circuit.....et al

yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Just check the news and the economic impact it is having on the country!

It is getting very expensive to live so teachers voting with their feet.

4. aakib

aakib New commenter

PuRe please check your PM

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was a few years ago that the overweight pachyderm was in Doha, but I have always heard good things and this navigational school. Yes, sometimes it does look as though there is a mass exodus, abandon ship etc., but sometimes it is just a normal and natural thing.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It does happen. In good schools too. Just the ebb and flow.
    And sometimes it’s not so natural. Sometimes there’s a cause.
    Finances in Qatar have changed. At least one theoretically decent school is giving pay cuts to returning teachers for 2019-20. Costs are up. Benefits are down. Perhaps explore what this school a little further to find its story.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, as usual I agree with gulfgolf. The really bad news is that some scummy schools, such as the notorious rotten apples, will try to leave the salaries alone, as reducing them might affect recruitment, but instead they will whittle away like mad at every single benefit or bonus that the teachers receive. Although some young and / or inexperienced teachers will be deceived into thinking that they are still getting a good deal, eventually they will realize that they are being diddled and then it will be too late. Medical insurance is not something that many teachers think about when they are applying for jobs. The bad news is that a naff school, like the plural garden implements in the UAE, will give you medical insurance that is just a fig leaf, so really it does not cover very much at all. Another nasty little trick is to give you the bonus that you are entitled to under Qatari law, but reduce the financial cost for the school by shaving off some of your final salary.

8. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

Anyone have any ideas what their salary is like for well experienced teachers and what other oackage perks they may offer? Thanks in advance.

9. february31st

If a large number of of old hands are jumping out of the country you would have to ask why.

When you consider the introduction of a 5% tax on funds sent out of the country as one possible reason. The second is the cost of flights and for a family of 3 or 4 that adds up. The daily costs of living are going up with inflation and no meaningfully pay increase to compensate.

No crystal ball needed to see the CBA of working in Qatar have changed.

If you are single, travel light and looking for your first international job I would go for it.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

When did they introduce the 5% tax on funds sent out of the country???

11. february31st

The tax/vat on remittance has not been introduced yet but it is one of the reasons some of my friends say they are leaving as its going to be introduced.

Qatar is under an economic and political blockade from its surrounding neighbors. Thousands of Qataris living in other GCC states have had to move back home. Thousands of other Arab Nationals are heading the other way in tic for tac visa cancellations. Qatar has also withdrawn from Opec and the price of oil/gas is heading due south thanks to American fracking and Canadian shale oil production. China is building 1000 electric buses a week and 100 nuclear power stations so its not going to need energy from the middle east.

Some ME countries are going to hope oil can be eaten very soon, below 100usd/barrel KSA is going bankrupt.

Western companies are downsizing their staff in Qatar so less families with children who need schools, so less teachers needed or reduce the package offered.

Doha to Dubai use to be a 45min flight but now take several hours via Oman/Kuwait.

So if old hands who have been in Qatar 5-10years are prepared to move back to Croydon and do teacher supply work, teachers applying to Qatar/Doha need to do some serious thinking.

12. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

A lot of your advice is concerning because of its inaccuracies. I think if you don't live in the country now people should refrain from their 'Googalised' information find.

1) There is no 5% remittance tax.
    2) They left OPEC to concentrate on LGP. The same gas being fracked everywhere else.
    3) Qatar is the ONLY supplier of LPG to the UAE. They are the only ME country that's has LPG.
    4) "Friends leaving after 10-15 years..." Name a country where 100% of the expat community don't leave and go home after that time. Doing supply means they are in a great financial situation to just wing it back home.
    5) Packages are changing but find the right school then one will be fine. The gas/petrol schools are STILL far more generous.
    6) "... Less families and less students.." Again, I am so curious on where this is "fact find" is coming from because the plane school aimed for their pilots and office staff is on 500+ after opening 2 years ago.

Sure it has its difficulties but all locations and schools do.. But if people are in the stage of their career where they need stronger salaries coming from the Thai Baht or Ringgit to set their families and themselves then first hand comments should be placed in places like QA.

Turning off possible opportunities for singles and families because of inaccurate comments like yours is simply not the educational community the TES forum would want to promote.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Geo_Marz likes this.