1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manned shops/units in Northwest?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Jun 30, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Since my job hunt has proved fruitless I'm considering renting a shop/unit for the business I've been working on. I've looked at Botany Bay but does anyone know anywhere else thats similar (in terms of you not having to be there and it not costing the earth)?
    Thanks x

2. ??

3. littlemissraw

At Botany Bay they take payment for you for a commission charge. (it was on Location Location once, lol) x

4. And where is your control mechanism as to how they promote your goods? You could just be paying for shelf space and it will gather dust...?

5. littlemissraw

You buy a unit (from 20-80ish square footage) and people just pick up what they like from shops and pay at one main till. Kind of like if every supermarket aisle was a shop - the barcodes show who it belongs to xx

6. Why not just set up an Ebay shop?
    If you want to sell something, you have to be proactive. You need to market it, and only you can do that - or you pay somebody to do it.
    Renting space and not being there - you have no control. Your stuff is just sitting there - waiting and hoping that somebody will pick it up and take it to the till.
    I don't know what it is you are selling - maybe if you mentioned what it is, we could come up with some better sales channels for you?

7. littlemissraw

I just wanted a space where I could meet people for consultations. I do Graphics & Marketing from home, lol, but have started doing bespoke wedding stationery and I wanted a location as I don't want people coming to the house. I've spent £4k on wedding fairs this year and thats where I do most of my sales (as well as magazine advertising) I was planning to 'dress' the unit in line with my branding and then have pieces there. Its primarily a base I want but I just liked the potential to sell there as I could make a range of cards etc too. xx

8. So, can you go there and decide on how your goods are presented? (that is my main concern!)
    Have you tried the market place here? Peeps are always getting married on here! (you are not allowed to pimp your sales on the forum, but you are allowed to say "PM or email me if you would like further details" [​IMG])
    Do you have a web site?
    Have you contacted local or regional bridal attire shops?
    Have you contacted wedding organisers?
    Sorry to heap loads of questions on you but selling is my job!

9. littlemissraw

Yes the unit is your to do what you want with, although some are pretty rubbish no matter what you did (especially the small cheap ones). Thats why I wondered if anyone knew ant similar venues.
    I do have a website, it has an online shop through paypal but I'm rebuilding this week in time for my next Fair on Wednesday. I currently use facebook advertising, magazine ads, wedding fairs and through other retailers (Hairdressing Salon, Jewellers, Cake Shop).
    I have a thread on Marketplace but you can see tumbleweeds passing through lol. x

10. You seem well organised, then!
    Now, I am going to bend the rules...
    Can you give me a link to your website, please, I would like to take a look at it [​IMG]

11. littlemissraw

lol I've pulled it down today as rebuilding through PHP and wasn't sure how it would effect the original HTTP content but its www.charlieromeo.com x

12. Can you give me an up on this thread when it is online again? [​IMG]

13. littlemissraw

Sure thing [​IMG] x

14. I have hotlisted this thread - sometimes the PM function doesn't work.

15. Might know somewhere . Please PM for info.