1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manilow comes out at the tender age of 73, has he been sleeping through the ages of equality??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 5, 2017.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's such a shame that she feels she has to do this in 2017 in the UK. However, this goes to show posters who say "who cares nowadays" that it still matters and people are not as free to live their lives as we think they should be.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It does matter to many. This is why I feel I have to be out under all circumstances.

Desensitise people to it. Normalise it.

FollyFairy and catmother like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It obviously matters if people feel they cannot be themselves at work like Grumpy's wife?. What about work social occasions? You obviously cannot bring your partner or do you bring them and say they are a family member? A friend? What about casual conversations about holidays or what you did at the weekend?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Absolutely. You will never find me disagreeing with you on that one. It does matter. and I am very sorry that some people still have to hide who they are.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I agree this is a shame and it shouldn't be this way.
    I am sorry if I offended anyone by my clumsy post - I meant that it shouldn't matter. I know it does to many, but as others have said, we live in 2017, someone's sexuality really should not matter.

6. grumpydogwoman

I can't go to work functions. Obviously!

Heck. Part of her job deal is health checks. She had to have a nurse come round to take blood for a drug test. I had to stay upstairs!

Obviously she never mentions my name at work. Never mentions me at all because she might give away something by using the "wrong" pronoun.

Numerous, numerous things.

7. grumpydogwoman

Her mother says I am a "friend". Her mother is 91 but you have to be so careful.

I do a lot of care for her mother but have to warn health professionals never to refer to me as a daughter-in-law because that's meant to be a secret. I'm her "friend".

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very sad for you.

9. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I didn't. :)

10. grumpydogwoman

I don't want anyone to be sorry for me!

Gay people have never had it better! Not in the UK. And thank duck I wasn't born in Nigeria!!!

catmother likes this.
  11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think with every new generation, it'll become more of a non-issue. These things take time.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

This thread has a LOT of tags!

I think so too. In the last eighteen months or so I've noticed a huge upturn in the number of kids writing stories about gay characters - and not just as the victims of bullying which was a thing for a little while - as well as talking fairly casually about their own gender identity and sexuality. There are also far fewer essays on "gay marriage" and "gay adoption" as they struggle to come up with the counter arguments.

13. delmamerchant

Not just Nigeria. there are many countries that take quite a negative view towards being gay,: thank duck I was not born in Poland et al, just one, amongst many of the European countries that does not look favourably on being gay.

14. delmamerchant

A friend of ,mine worked in a school in an inner London borough and had to leave because the pupils from the predoninant faith were constantly abusive to him, calling him an abomination because he was gay. Note to those whom created the British Valuess: We accept people whatever their sexuality.:)

15. delmamerchant

ummm, it has 10 tags.

16. delmamerchant

She may have been relieved as it would have given her a break:)

17. delmamerchant

~The point here is that he made it news.

18. delmamerchant

Gosh! Howdoesthat play out re work occasions? More to the point, it is not easy to avoid it in conversations about your life...does she use that awful phrase, partner? When people do that I spend most of the conversation wondering male or female, just becuase it is difficult to make reference to that person in general conversation

Most importantly, how do you feel about it/this?

19. delmamerchant

Amen to that FollyFairy:)

20. delmamerchant

If this is the case then no points for the lack of Sherlock Holmes detection: Married his husband...don't need a Deer Stalker to work that one out!:)