1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manila

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sunnyshine, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

1. sunnyshine

sunnyshine New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have done a search for information on Manila, but not much has been revealed. I have had many questions already answered by representatives of the school (would be associated with the Land of the Rose), but am after a bit more information from perhaps someone who has worked there or knows about the school and/or Manila. The school portrays itself to be excellent, but what does that mean for pressure on staff and work/life balance? What is everyday life like there? What is living in Manila itself like? I have done a fair amount of online research but am trying to gather as much information as I can (especially about life in Manila) before making a decision.

Thank you for any help!

2. danguiney

danguiney New commenter

Hi, the Philippines is a wonderful country - beautiful locations, great food, a fascinating history, and above all truly wonderful people. Manila itself is bustling, lively, and a place you will never be bored. Just hop on a late night jeepney and you will never feel more alive! All the international schools I know of there have excellent reputations. I teach internationally and although I'm very happy where I am I hope one day to be able to move to Manila (which is where my partner is from )should a History post become avaliable. I wish you well in your decision making :) As they say it's more fun in the Philippines!

3. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Never worked there but have holidayed and visited friends who do work there several times. Manila itself is a bit crazy, Bangkok on steroids, traffic is mad. But life in the better schools is excellent, my friend has been there 12 years and loves it. Schools are generally out of town and in posh suburbs so life is a lot more relaxed.

4. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

An outstanding school and you can have a great lifestyle. I would not hesitate to jump at the chance to live and work there.

5. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

There are three major schools in Manila: the huge international one, the smaller Brit one and the more American school that has a name linked to oil.

They are in that order in terms of reputation, package and desirability. The Brit school has a lot of turnover coming in terms of admin, so might (or might not) be back on its way up.

The first two are in BGC, a very posh part of the city. It's not cheap there, but it's clean and modern. Most people never experience the grim reality of the life of the mass poor in Manila. The country outside Manila is beautiful, a true paradise on earth.

6. Mickyd197se

I'd be checking the websites if I were you. As in, right now.

danguiney likes this.
  7. Mickyd197se

If you are referring to the international one, and not the land of rose school (although the intl. school was once known as the American one) then I can tell you that it is an elite, tier 1 school. It is intense and people work hard there. Manila itself is a lot of fun. However, it's a male paradise and single females may or may not enjoy themselves so much there. I was there with my family so did enjoy it. Eventually though, we wanted to move to a country and city that had more to experience in terms of its own culture. The Philippines is Americanised to the max. It makes it an easy place to live, but for me there are far more interesting countries in Asia. Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan, in particular. YMMV.

If you are referring to the land of rose school that also has a campus in Subic then I can't help you. but people are happy there. They just don't like their salary or package which is way below the big two schools which are across the road from each other in BGC.

8. sunnyshine

sunnyshine New commenter

Thank you so much for the replies. The school is the 2nd one in the list Mickyd197se posted. I see there are to be some admin changes, and that there have been some issues but everyone I have spoken to seems to be very happy (although not so much on ISR). I'd not be going as a single female, however my partner is not a teacher so we are having to throw that into the mix too.

danguiney likes this.
  9. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Can someone please be kind enough in sending me a list of the schools that you're referring to?

10. Mickyd197se

Ok, the land of hope and glory school is the second biggest payer in Manila. Faculty mostly seem happy there, but let's just say that admin isn't universally popular. With a change of admin coming, it might be very different next year. Its reputation is as one of the top Brit schools in the whole of Asia. I didn't work there but knew those that did. They enjoyed the experience and the school. They tended to live in BGC, which is Manila's attempt at a mini Singapore. It's shiny, new and spotless if a bit plastic and fake. It makes Manila one of the easier Asian capitals to live in, I'd say, if a bit sterile and soulless. I wouldn't listen to anyone's advice on the place that hasn't lived there in one of the top schools. Unfounded rumour and reality is wide apart. BGC (and, to a lesser extent, Makati) is a bubble but an easy bubble to live in at that. People don't travel that much around the city in the evening as the traffic is pretty bad during rush hour, but to be honest is manageable outside outside of those times.

Like I said, I enjoyed my time there. Good schools and an easy place to save lots of money. However, ultimately I wanted to go to a more happening city in Asia. All three of the major international schools generally experience little turnover, especially the huge international school. That's down to the quality of the schools, the welcoming locals and the beautiful country, rather than the city of Manila.

1stSgtWelsh likes this.
  11. sunnyshine

sunnyshine New commenter

Thank you for the insights. The opportunity has come completely out of the blue so I am having to do a lot of thinking! We recently bought a house etc. which is causing me some angst. If it'd been a year ago then my situation was different and so it's a case of do we give up what we have here, or not...tough call!