1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manila

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by GoldenBuddha, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi All,

There are quite a few teaching jobs around at the mo for Manila, I am considering applying. Is there anyone who is out there that can give an accurate and honest account of what it is like to live in Manila. Are there things to do? A good expat community? Having spent time in Bangkok, I am imagining Manila to be pretty similar but I could be far from the mark.

Also what type of salary would you expect from an International school? I have 2 years UK teaching experience. What salary is required to live a comfortable life? What type of accommodation should I expect and what should i expect from the package as a whole?

I have a good job in the UK, I am very happy but want to see the world-it was always the plan. But I don't want to give this up without knowing more facts.

If anyone could give me a bit of (lot of!) information then I really would be most appreciative.

GB x

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I never understand why anyone wants to go overseas and mix with the expat community. A set of oddball, arrogant racists in my experience, and yes i'm generalising.

3. ah manila, best to search lonely planet throntree forum - loads more info there.

I was in philippines for a month last year. Basically there are alot less tourists in general than Thailand - 3 million compared to 19 million. There are many beautiful islands and beaches but gettinmg to them means long boat rides or flying. English is spoken alot more by locals than in Thailand so you can hang out alot more with them than just expats. It's quite western in alot of ways having been colonised by spain and America.

However no doubt there are a few negatives: MAnila is more traffic plaqued, poverty stricken and dirtier than BKK - in general most cities and big towns are like this in the phils unfortunately

pm me if u wanna know more