1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manila v Bangkok...?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, Nov 8, 2019 at 9:52 AM.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

I've found some threads on this, any current views re: saving money, lifestyle, etc., specifically the 'UK' school in Manila? I see it had a scandal a few years ago and seemed to be threatened with closure......hopefully dealt with?

2. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

They're rather wide ranging questions. If you're moving from Europe or N.America then both Manila and Bangkok will be very similar in terms of lifestyle and savings. However, if you're moving from within Asia you'll experience nuanced differences between the two cities.

In terms of financial savings it will be similar in both cities at similar tier schools. You'll save the same at a Tier 1 school in both cities, given a similar lifestyle in either city. However, I'd argue that there are more globally recognised Tier 1 schools in BKK than in MNL.

The lifestyle that you can expect is far more dependent on your personal preferences than on the city of choice. You can have central luxury condo living, family house compound living, or "village" style suburban living in either city.

A few notes :
    1. the school that you mention is in a very upmarket manicured area of Manila (the Truman Show in SEA). BKK doesn't really have an equivalent area, but very large development areas, such as Nichida, are equivalent. Personally, I'd hate to live in this type of area.
    2. BKK has far better transport infrastructure than MNL (yeah, I know, that tells you just how bad transport is in MNL). BKK transport infrastructure is getting even better every month with ongoing expansion of BTS and MRT. I have found moving around MNL to be an absolute nightmare at peak times, and have often resorted to walking 6+ kms between areas (think BGC to Makati at 6pm).Transport infrastructure directly affects your choice of lifestyle. If around the city you can move then the more pretty will be your groove.

Overall, the quality of the school that you can land a job at, in either city, is far more important than the city itself. The school you mention is a quality provider, I'd go there over any other in MNL (maybe even in preference to it's famous cousin across the road). Similarly, if you can get into a Tier 1 in BKK you can save lots of money, and choose whichever lifestyle appeals (within the expectations of a highly professional environment).

Manila or Bangkok? Either city would be a great place if you get offered a job at a good school.

claytie likes this.
  3. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks so much for this detailed reply. Very helpful!

4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I’d take the famous cousin over the mentioned school. Its reputation is, as always, overstated but it is imho a far better outfit on almost every level. The UK school would however, be preferable to its equivalent in Bangkok (by all accounts a toxic shadow of it’s former self) and would indeed be a good gig. It’s a clear #2 (#1 on some people’s lists) in Manila and one of only 3 worth considering if you are aiming high. Bangkok, on the other hand, has lots of half decent schools that are worth working at.

If I were the OP and I applied for said school and they offered me a job, I would bite their hand off.

claytie likes this.
  5. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

If you can get a decent gig in either Manila or Bangkok then I'm very envious. Never worked in either city, but, visited plenty of times. Personally, I'd choose Manila over Bangkok as I just prefer the Philippines over Thailand. That's largely because I'm a very keen scuba diver. Both places offer great nightlife and shopping and, chances are, you'll have no problems finding gyms, clubs etc that suit your interests. I'm not sure if you're a single male, but, if you are, then you should have plenty of options in regards to dating.

It's not all peaches and cream. Crime, particularly in Manila, is high, the traffic in both cites can be a nightmare and pollution is pretty bad as well. Nonetheless, like others have said, if I could get a good job at either tomorrow, I'd be on the first plane out and heading over there in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    claytie likes this.
  6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

I am not talking about the school/schools just the cities. For me it would be Bangkok every time, Manila is a madhouse and far less safe imo. Although of course the schools tend to be in safe posh suburbs and often inside gated communities. Most of the staff would be nearby or even inside said community, depending on their personal preference. I have friends who have worked in Manila for years and now live in accommodation they have found themselves. Bangers of course does have its issues (traffic in both is pretty awful) but I have never felt unsafe in Bangkok. In terms of saving potential, quality of life, food, travellifestyle, travel beaches, food etc I would say its a toss up.

claytie likes this.
  7. claytie

claytie New commenter

When you say Manila feels unsafe, could you please expand?

8. makhnovite

If you go out of the posh suburbs to some of the less salubrious areas it can be a little bit threatening. A bit like some parts of UK towns on a Friday night after the pubs chuck out!

motorhomer likes this.
  9. claytie

claytie New commenter

I get it....!

10. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Went to Manila for vacation and stayed at one of the famous hotels in the centre.

Shot gun carrying armed guards on the door.

Just saying like.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Police carry guns all over Europe. Guns out in public is not something shicking. Im not really seeing your point

12. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Dummers could you PM me as I can not PM and would like your opinion about something.

13. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Yes, it's pretty clear you don't see the point since you've brought armed police into the discussion. As far as I know almost every country has armed police on the streets except a few European ones - Iceland, Norway, Ireland and the UK - and NZ. In

Maybe you don't see an issue but i've been to fair few countries, stayed in a fair few hotels but never have I seen a hotel employ heavily armed guards at the entrance. The supermarket had armed guards on the entrance too.

There's a reason for that which is pretty obvious and tells me that maybe I'm safer walking the streets in downtown Riyadh, Istanbul and Jakarta than I am in central Manila.

14. dumbbells66

Strange, because i have been to 53 countries, and seen this in many many many countries.

15. makhnovite

Exactly 53? So you keep score? :rolleyes:

24hours likes this.
  16. dumbbells66

There is an app. Its called Been.

I use to have one of those scratch maps, but the app is nicer. I'll be at 54 by the end of the year.

17. claytie

claytie New commenter

I remember that there was an armed guard outside the bank in a Malaysian shopping centre. One day his rifle went off and shattered a huge plate glass window next to him! It seemed comical at the time, but it could have been a person....

18. claytie

claytie New commenter

It sounds like one would have to stick to ex-pat upmarket shopping areas in Manila, then...

19. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Bangkok would offer you a lot more expat friendly vibe and lovely locals to mingle with as well. Manilla is more crazy than Bangkok for me

claytie likes this.
  20. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

It’s easier to mix with the locals in Manila because they speak English. You can talk to them about anything and they will talk back. Bangkok just has more foreigners who speak English as a common language at the exclusion of most of the locals. In both countries it pays to learn the local language(s) but I guess that’s another story.

claytie likes this.