1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manga High Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Sep 24, 2009.

1. I've just listened to Marcus De Sautoy on the radio, discussing this new website of free computer games to engage students in mathematics. I often get hooked with computer games on the xBox 360, PS3 etc and have often thought that this idea would be worth a look at. Interestingly, De Sautoy also pointed out that the games industry in this country doesn't have the number of mathematicians it needs.
    The site seems to be down at the moment (it just launched today) but might be worth a look at later on in the day.

2. I've just listened to Marcus De Sautoy on the radio, discussing this new website of free computer games to engage students in mathematics. I often get hooked with computer games on the xBox 360, PS3 etc and have often thought that this idea would be worth a look at. Interestingly, De Sautoy also pointed out that the games industry in this country doesn't have the number of mathematicians it needs.
    The site seems to be down at the moment (it just launched today) but might be worth a look at later on in the day.

3. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I heard the programme too. I'm primary so this is not suitable for us, but I did immediately think it would appeal to my son and his friends - they are all keen games players and several of them really love maths. I love the idea that it puts maths in a "real" context.

4. Subscriptions look quite expensive - Anyone seen anything about school subscriptions?

5. I was only really looking at the non-member stuff ... as we have mymaths I think the other sections might be superfluous

I agre that £10-£15 a month for an individual is expensive

6. Well... I'm a bit disappointed.
    Prices are high for revising teenagers and their parents. I tried the meteor game and it was as good as that algebra locust game. I preferred the Pyramid scenario (I'm a dungeons and dragons kind of a girl) but it kept saying an answer was wrong when it was right, which would just confuse pupils.
    It's a good resource but I can't help feel it's an opportunity lost.

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I must confess I am very disappointed after all the hype I heard on the radio about games appealing to teenagers - my teenage son was most unimpressed, as was I.
    The subscriptions are far too high.

8. I thought it was aimed at hig KS2 perhaps Y7

Anything over that and the ganes are not sophisticaed enough

I guess that this is just a starting point

9. It is designed to cover the GCSE specification according to the website...

10. Couldn't get class to leave room today once the site was up. Some of the games are pretty addictive and useful for developing mental calculations. Hope they add some more soon.....

11. It's probably worth mentioning that Primary Games Arena is a free service for primary schools for online gaming.

12. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

i agree some good games, nice graphics, but very expensive

13. games games and more games! What is happening to the subject!

14. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Some so called 'maths games' are nothing more than a
    set of multiple choice maths questions followed by a cheap and boring game that
    has nothing to do with maths. The idea being that a student can be 'tricked'
    into doing maths questions if we offer them a game afterwards. This is not a
    'maths game'. A real maths game means that students are engaging in a timed and
    pressure activity while actively solving maths problems. They have a reason to
    keep concentrating and push themselves harder to achieve a better score, while
    at the same time solving appropriate, curriculum compliant maths problems. This concept is what Mangahigh is all about.

15. I really like mangahigh, and all pupils that have used it have been impressed. A high ability year 11 class used to 'transtar' game to revise multiple transformations, and it get's very challenging.

School subscriptions are far too expensive.

16. I've bought a 6 month subscription for our school. The distinct games are all excellent, scaling well up through levels of difficulty. Pyramid Panic for example moves from area & perimeter through to Pythagoras & Trig.

The prodigi lessons are just multiple choice, but again they scale brilliantly, get 3 in a row right and thr pupils automatically moves up to the next difficulty level.

Each game and lesson has a high schore table and potential medals to win. Set a class on one task and show them the high schore table and they'll spend 60mins trying to beat each other.

Our medal table is set up with our house system so there is impetous to get your house to the top of the monthly league table.

In my opinion the Maths content is excellent and the game design also excellent. Pupils of today are groomed in short term rewards and mangahigh taps into this really well.

It is expensive, but I'm happy with it so far, with Maths the inevitable priority across school that it is I don't think it's that hard to justify the expense.

17. I have some very good news, in relation to your point about the cost of school subscriptions:

As of next week, full access to Mangahigh.com will become COMPLETELY FREE for UK and Irish schools! Schools will be able to use all of our maths games, all of our adaptive questions (now over 45,000!), and all of the analytics tools that are so valuable for teachers. And this is not a temporary thing - we plan to keep access free for UK schools for ever!

Schools' budgets are so restricted at the moment, so we're hoping this move will be really helpful for the many schools who have tried Mangahigh, but were previously unable to subscribe.

18. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

so it goes from ridiculously expensive to totally free? I dont get it? Is it a joke?

19. I hope not!
    I'll give this gift horse a look in the mouth.