1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manchester Airport and flipflops!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daffodilval, Dec 21, 2010.

1. My daughter is (hopefully) arriving at Manchester airport on Thursday, from the Philippines, probably in Tee shirt, shorts and flipflops.
    Hmm, I think I will be taking her hat, scarf, mitts,boots, and thick coat. She in for a bit of a breath taking, culture shock, don't you think?

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Good idea! I have a prison release on Christmas Eve: he apparently only has summer clothes with him. I think he'll feel a bit chilly when he walks out of the gate...

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh the poor soul [​IMG].
    You'd think the prison could stretch to a few winter woolies for such cases. Or am I being ridiculously idealistic?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

The national dress of the Philippines!

Mind you, my Filipina friends know how to glam up whent he occasion calls for it.

5. Sounds strange I know, but she might relish the change in temp! Brother in Phillipines is still moaning about the heat, and would love a bit of snow and frost for a change!

6. ilovesooty

One of our workers is donating a coat and a sweatshirt, manashee. He's only been in six weeks and it's his first sentence. He has no family (or friends in the city) and actually asked for a longer sentence so he'd be in over Christmas. We've got him some Pot Noodles for Christmas Day (he's lucky enough to have a bedsit but no cooking facilities) and when the buses start running on Boxing Day he can get to a soup kitchen for a meal.

Hope your daughter's flight gets in ok, Val.

7. Thanks, she is really looking forward to the freezing cold weather, I just don't want her to get hyperthermia, so far the flight out of the philippines is operating, just hope Amsterdam and Manchester are.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh God, sooty this is such a sad story. I feel so bad for him. [​IMG]

9. ilovesooty

He lost his family some time ago manashee: he has no idea where they are. On Christmas Eve I also have a terribly unhappy bipolar girl who slashes her arms being released - the last twice she's been released without any appropriate mental health medication. She's been an addict since her mother put her on the streets when she was 13 to fund her own addiction. I just hope to goodness my efforts to sort out her meds have been successful this time. I've also got a 5 and a half stone scrap who's fled domestic violence and has been street working. I found her a bedsit yesterday: she's been walking the streets for a couple of weeks in a city she doesn't know. She has severe frostbite in her fingers and toes (they're beginning to turn black) and at one point she was chucked out of a car in her underclothes and an oversized t-shirt. I took her to a house where she'd stored her bits and pieces and it was horrible: needles everywhere and blood, and filth...
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I see such depressing things sometimes. [​IMG]

10. ILS, You know, we all get so wrapped up in our own little problems, we are blinkered to what is really going on out there in the world.
    ThankGod for ppl like you who try and do what you can to help, I really admire you, are you a social worker or in that field?

11. ilovesooty

Thanks Val - I work in drug intervention. I don't deny that we have repeat offenders who simply don't make the effort to turn their lives round, but there's so much bureaucracy and red tape and some of their situations are so awful the odds really are stacked against them.

12. It must be very frustrating for you..

13. Wow, those cases are awful to read about let alone actually deal with. Makes you realise again just how lucky we are...

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

sooty, I don't know how you do it, I really don't. My heart would break into pieces.
    People like you really make a difference. I am in awe.