1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Manbags

Discussion in 'Personal' started by les25paul, Aug 18, 2019.

1. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Here is a question for you.

Yesterday whilst down the pub I noticed a fellow with a manbag. What does the modern young gentleman carry in a manbag? All I need is my wallet, keys and a mobile phone (and I don't really need that).

One point, his girlfriend looked "high maintenance" perhaps thats a clue.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Medicines?

nomad likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It saves that annoying man thing of searching the house for wallet, glasses, keys, inhaler and phone EVERY time you go out...

TCSC47, cissy3 and nizebaby like this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nothing wrong with a manbag.

Benidorm83, cissy3, Marshall and 3 others like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I saw one yesterday. He minced across the road and was not wearing socks either. Who am I to judge, all I did was notice him.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Most men do not need a handbag because their female partners have handbags. I end up carrying tissues for both of us, hand sanitiser, his reading glasses, all coins, both driving licences, both passports when travelling, train and plane tickets, biros, medication, keys etc.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm wondering what is more infrequent-a man with a bag or a woman without a bag.
    Oh-hang on, I just remembered-I don't actually care whatsoever.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

If I was a man I would use a manbag. We all need somewhere to put our stuff especially when you need reading glasses.

Benidorm83 likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why is it "manbag"?

Handbag is a gender neutral term...

Anyway I don't have one. I have pockets.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Bags just mean you carry extra stuff because you can, not because you need to.

Wallet, phone and car keys that's all I need. Winter is easier as the phone can go in my coat pocket instead of swinging around in my trousers (phnarr).

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Cultural appropriation. I am incensed.

Oscillatingass and vannie like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah I have a phone case with little slots for cash and cards so right now I'm very light... no wallet.

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Men's trousers have much bigger / deeper pockets than women's trousers.
    If I put my phone in my pocket and sit down, it just silently slides out. Car keys can escape equally easily.
    That's why I carry a bag.
    Well. One reason why.

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Mr PC loves a bag but uses them mostly on holidays. He puts in things like maps, binoculars, printouts of accommodation, passport, wallet, keys, phone, guide books etc.

When it's just the usual wallet, phone, keys he uses pockets. Unless he decides his pockets are too shallow and then he invades my handbag.

I've banned him from putting bottles of wine in my handbag as they make it too heavy and it hurts my neck.

My mother in law once put blue cheese in my handbag without asking or telling me. I was not amused.

15. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I suppose men are less likely than women to carry make-up, hairbrush, spare tights etc.

But a book? Bottle of water? Camera?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Use MrsLan's handbag of course.

:D

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I like the idea of a Manbag and last week in Debenhams I picked one up and took it to the till. I then took it back because I knew that I would look a right Richard wearing one.

18. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

As a male singleton, I find handbag-style "manbags" with a single shoulder strap to be pretentious, a fashion accessory favoured by the sort of business types who put the jackets of their suits on clothes-hangers attached to hooks in their cars while they're driving to sales meetings. When I have to carry, say, a diary, folder, water bottle or packed lunch, I put them in the small backpack I use for shopping. Anything smaller can go into a jacket or trouser pocket.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

At least pretentious manbags don't smack you in the face and knock your glasses off when their wearers turn round suddenly on the bus or tube during rush hour! :p

20. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Personally, I take my backpack off to avert that eventuality when I'm on public transport. Sadly, I agree, others don't always follow suit.

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.