1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing word walls/ high frequency word assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pprose, Aug 19, 2015.

1. pprose

pprose New commenter

Hello, I am in my second year in year 1 and I didn't like how I managed my word walls intervention (word walls are basically HFW and go from Word wall 1 up until 50 or something) anyway does anyone have any ideas or tips?

At the moment my TA just has a folder with the word walls in and the children get tested by her every week and if they pass they get the next word wall to take home and she records it in her folder.

I'm thinking maybe a display that shows the children progressing? give them a boost to see that Bob is already on WW 34 or whatever. What do people think?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Might it not be a bit demoralising, for those who find it harder, to see Bob breezing through the walls while they are stuck on WW 5.

Could you do a 'wall' display with HFW bricks... each time someone passes their word wall, they are allowed to choose a word (one they can read) to add to the display? I don't think it would matter if some of the words were repeated. Perhaps children could choose their favourite word from the word wall they passed and write it onto a brick.