1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing stretching and challenging

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by coldmetal, Oct 14, 2017.

1. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

On a recent peer obs i had a comment when computer training that I wasn't considering those who had prior knowledge or were quick

I must admit I like the idea of some kind of device to handle those that are off and running ahead of the others. but sometimes it is difficult to manage. I sometimes had the "what do we do now" questions while waiting for me to go round and fix up and catch up those that either didn’t listen or didn’t understand or made a mistake in the process. I used to just make them wait until everyone had caught up. As I say It’s difficult if you are teaching something in a series where you need to get to one plateau before you start to move onto others and also those that steam on ahead are often difficult to pull back and continue. If you have any good idea I'd be interested.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

We used Moodle in our college, and I used to place a sidebar on the Unit web page, with a "Useful Information" section, containing loads of extra information above and beyond what was covered in class, along with some suitable 'extension actiivities' based on the lesson content. Any whizzkids could use the information in there, to move along at a more rapid pace, allowing me to move around and work with the ones who were less able.

I also used to have a 'Self Help' guide, which contained as many troubleshooting tips as a I could think of, for each topic we covered. This means that at least some of the the less able ones no longer have to wait for you to come to sort out their problem.

Also, you can encourage 'peer review' in class, as often their mates will be able to see their mistakes and help them correct them. Obviously, you need to be confident they are 'helping them to fix their work',and are not 'doing their work for them'.

There will always be a few that would rather sit chatting, waiting for you, rather than fix it themselves, whatever you provide them with. These are the ones you need to monitor and chivvy along. But the aim is to wean as many as possible off teacher reliance, and get them as far as you can along the road to being 'independent learners'.