1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing spelling - year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayleyrm, Dec 16, 2015.

1. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Good morning all, I'm after picking all of your brains really :)

I teach year three and the school I currently teach in stream for English and maths ( I have lower set for both) .

My question is how do people tackle spelling in their school? We don't have a specific time to do it and time is tight due to being a. Faith school anyway so no room to fit in a 'spelling lesson' specifically each week.

At the start of term we were given spelling rules lists for the year group but no guidance on the actual scheme or teachin of spelling! How do others go about teaching spelling, how what and when do you give children spellings and when do you assess?? I have a high EAL contingency and range from level 1/2- 3 in my class alone ( we have to teach spelling to our year group not English class). So mine are really all over the place!

Anyone else's ideas would be more than welcome I've failed miserable this term to get a handle on spelling but I'm determined to get a grip after Christmas!!

Thanks guys.... Merry Christmas :)

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Spellings are a big school priority for us this year, especially in Year 3 when you really want them to break away from using 'sounding it out' as default.

We teach 15 minutes of spellings every day. This is taught in a cycle similar to how we tend to teach phonics: review prior learning, introduce rule, practise, apply and assess. Activities range from silly sentences, dictation, spot the mistakes, crosswords etc. We do a test but this is less for our assessment purposes and more because it encourages parental support with learning the spellings. We really assess using all in the application stage, and through quality of spellings in extended writing - though obviously there won't always be evidence here so it's more about looking for the errors to get a feel.

I have a spellings working all that displays the rule and also do spellings activities for my early morning work.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Why would you do that?
    The main rule is that for every rule there are exceptions so the rule isn't really a rule.

4. cally1980

Of course there are exceptions to every rule but when children have only one strategy to fall back on they are not going to become fully functioning spellers. I'm talking about rules such as the double consonant when adding suffixes to words where the stress is on the second syllable - sounding won't help there. Or remembering that dis is a prefix and therefore in disappointed there is only one s not two.

5. Msz

Disagree you double the final consonant if the sound before is /a/ /e/ /I/ /o/ or /u/ and don't double if it's /ae/ /ee/ /ie/ /oa/ or /oo/ /yoo
    You don't need multiple strategies if you use the most effective one

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  6. cally1980

garden - stress is on the first syllable hence no double consonant (gardening)
    prefer - stress is on the second syllable hence need for double consonant (preferring)

That is the rule as per the new curriculum guidance and part of the Year 3 curriculum, though there may be exceptions. Whether sounding is the most effective strategy or not is irrelevant if the words in the Year 3 word list are those exceptions to the rule. Sounding out will not enable children to spell the curriculum specified words in Year 3 and beyond, hence the need to provide children with other strategies.

7. Msz

Duse spelling voice to say the word precisely. Ask child to decide on syllables then identify the sounds in each syllable

8. cally1980

Great, ok: impaishunt/impationt or any of the other ten or so ways to sound it out in varying degrees of accuracy. Even when encouraging sounding we still have to teach strategies so they know which version of the sound to use and more strategies to then recognise when it is one of the many irregularities within the English language.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of phonics but we cannot JUST encourage children to revert to sounding out a word to spell it correctly. They need to draw upon any rules they have learned regarding the composition of the word. They need to be encouraged to look at it and see if it 'looks' right. They need to think about whether or not it has a root word that they know (EG knowing that immature has 2 ms, not because of a double consonant rule or because the teacher over sounded it as immature during the spelling test, but because the root word is mature and the prefix is im). They may need to use a mnemonic device for a particularly tricky one. If we ONLY tell them to sound it out we are doing them a disservice.

9. Msz

Haven't they been taught alternative spellings for sounds and how to approach spelling polysyllabic words in KS1?

As I said saying the word precisely and breaking down into syllables ... Initially may need support which alternative to use ...look closely relate to familiar words where sound is represented with same spelling ...

10. Msz

Saying the sounds as they write them helps reinforce correct spelling

hp08aca likes this.
  11. Tony_Soprano

Tony_Soprano New commenter

12. Msz