1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing PGCE workload

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by RachHolmes, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I'm just about to apply for my PGCE Primary for 2012. Im just finishing a masters degree in history and i have to admit this year has been hard, as Ive done the degree full time and tried to balance it with a part time job (16 to 25 hours/week average) and volunteer work. My aim is to try and get full time work and attempt to save up some dosh so i dont have to work weekends (providing i get a place) during PGCE as i dont think i would be able to cope with the work load - i know some people do, as one of my cousins did. Though the thought of NOT having a paid regular income concerns me as ive worked since i was 16. My main query are with regard to how did other people manage their time? Just to give me some idea on what exactly to expect.I know it will be pretty intense but I want to make sure I'm applying with my eyes wide open. And in general how are assesments laid out?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It depends very much on which university you choose - from what I've read on here over the past couple of years, the assessment requirements for the PGCE vary quite a lot between providers. I trained at Oxford Brookes and the assessment was mainly reading and short tasks which you put together to make a file for maths, English and science, which was assessed in April; there were also a few group tasks and a few essays (2000 words max). It was definitely very manageable if you kept organised and on top of things. I found the uni-based parts of the course felt more relaxed (that's a relative term!) than the times on placement; on placement I constantly felt that I was running just to keep up, because as well as planning and teaching lessons I had to be sorting out all the PGCE admin (writing evaluations of lessons, collecting evidence for the standards) AND keeping up with the uni tasks. But remember that that's just my experience and other providers may run things differently.

3. Thanks, makes me feel a bit calmer, think I've heard a few scare stories from the odd student teacher, but never in the past stopped and asked any of them what was involved. Hopefully if i get a place this year I'll be able to give up work, (if i can save up enough money to help get me by!)