1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing people

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by onthewayhome, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Please help!
    It feels as though my team are falling apart. Their morale is rock bottom and no matter what anyone says or does, they only see the negative.
    This is especially difficult for me to manage when the majority of teachers in my team do not teach in the same year group as myself.
    I work really hard to be positive about everything. To save my moans and groans for home. I realise that they need some kind of forum to have a gripe, but does it always have to be our department meetings?
    I know that some teachers in particular are really feeling under pressure. They are not under any more or less pressure than any other teacher in the school. I think it's just the way that they are dealing with it. However, I'm not very good at being "fluffy" and whilst I make myself available to listen to their concerns, if they don't take or act upon any advice or help that I offer, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.
    Please God it's just end of term-itis and that they just need to recharge their batteries.

2. Think many of us are feeling the same way. Best thing is to first of all not to let it get to you. I learned very quickly that you cannot please everyone and there are issues that have nothing to do with school that affect the emptions pf the staff ( and mine!!). A good tip i was told by a cOlleague was to allow for a short amount of time at the start of any meeting to allow people to get a gripe or issue off their chest (I use 30 seconds each as a guide for me). It has to be current and kept short. Then i follow it up with the same thing but with a positive from the day (again 30 seconds). It's a bit like circle time for staff but it worked really well for our TLC and seems to be working for me as we are allowed to get issues off our chest but always ending on positives.