1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing Maths APP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ginny2005, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Firstly, are most schools using app as their form of assessment in maths?
    Do you use any tests alongside?
    Has anyone found a way to make maths app more managable?
    Just looking at the app maths toolkit from modilearning. Has anyone had experience of using this? Does it give a NC sub level? s it suitable for bot KS1 and KS2?
    We really need to make app work for the powers that be but at the moment find it a time wasting paper activity.
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Hi.

We use APP for Reading, Writing and Maths. We base the levels we give the children each term on APP and tests.
    As for making it more managable, I would love to hear some ideas on this!

3. HI
    Which tests do you use alongside APP? SATs or an alternative?
    How do you get a NC level for year 1 at the beginning of the year? Or when do you give them a NC level?
    [​IMG]

4. We use either SATs past papers or the CGP tests alongside our APP.
    I don't know about year 1, I teach upper KS2 and have never taught year 1. As far as I am aware though, the year 1 teacher uses the ELGs (I think.)

5. Any others ideas anyone?[​IMG]

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin New commenter

I use APP in maths and writing. There's no requirement in my school, but I find it helps me keep track of where each child is. I have all the data in a spreadsheet and update it weekly(ish) usually focusing on two or three subsections depending on what we've been doing. Updating it is usually just flicking through their books and seeing where they've met the learning intention so isn't too much hard work.

7. But surely if they meet the LI in the lesson that doesn't show they will be able to do it 6 weeks later and this is where I think it is much harder to assess for Maths.

8. imc

imc

We found these a really useful way of making maths APP 'work' rather than just being a paper excercise. They're by no means perfect but quite handy:
    http://www.topical-resources.co.uk/numeracy
    We also adapted some 'child speak' APP sheets for childrens books and from September will be using every other Friday as a maths challenge session where we will be looking at specific areas of APP where children can demonstrate their independent abiliies (i.e. not following a week of teaching a unit but one off investigayions and challenges whilst the teacher works with a focus group each time - looking at 'next step' targets etc.)

9. To me that doesn't sound manageable! How do you fit all other assessments and everything else you need to do in?! In answer to the OP, i'm yet to find a manageable way, its taking forever! The books in one of the other posts look good, but I can't afford to spend £30 out on something that's likely to disappear in a couple of years!