1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing Classroom Behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clear_air, Apr 2, 2011.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I like your lesson objective idea! Might have to steal that one...

2. I've used no hands up sticks and whiteboards for the past few years, along with the traffic lighting colours to indicate their feelings and confidence in their work. We also add a coloured blob next to the LO in our books to record their confidence at the end of a piece of work too.

I like the kids I teach to be aware of what the LO is upfront most of the time, as I like to refer to it if any of the children are going off at a slight tangent to bring them back to what I am after them doing.
    Sometimes I reveal it after the warm up. This week I explained the activity they would be doing and asked them to decide how to phrase the LO. They liked this.
    I am liking the mystery child idea and may be pinching that one.
    I already have a mystery piece of mess when they are tidying up.

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Mystery mess? How does that work? I was in a classroom where the teacher called it 'secret student'. She had a badge which made its way round the children if they had managed to earn it. (I think she was collecting points towards an end of term party.)

4. I already use a no hands up system to engage more pupils. I have also used a Secret Student as well which worked really well - however they are not averse to taking advantage when a cover teacher is in the room.
    I always share the LO at the beginning of the lesson and traffic lights to show how well they feel they have met it.
    The one thing I disagree with you on is the whiteboards. I have used them for a number of years with huge success. However, this is my second year at my school with year 6. last year the children didn't know how to use whiteboards and failed to learn successfully over the year and this year has been just as bad. To make things worse they all play with the boards, doodle on them and we have a huge problem with pens running out. About 3/4 weeks ago i decided to get rid of them altogether and now have a much calmer class - an amazing change - far less fuss and far less distractions.

5. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

Some lovely ideas, thank you - but since we are told to ask the children what they are learning during lessons, how does it work if they don't know for sure what they are learning until the end? Not criticising at all, but how would you address this?

6. Well i'm in KS2 but i've used many of these...

Lollypop sticks.... I do this (though I got drinks stirrers from KFC ;) ). Worked really well for a while. Might re-introduce it as they're bound to have forgotten about it! I do use them every now and again when we're doing quizzes and stuff. Sometimes I pitch 2 children against each other (boy v girl) and use the stirrers to pick at random. Found it eliminated the constant "miss, miss, miss, me, miss me, miiiiiisssssss, me me, urrrghhh....... etc".

Coloured triangles... I have these but found myself taking them off the kids as they are, at times, attention seekers and/or lazy so many had it on red all the time so that you'd either a) sit next to them or b) stop the activity and regroup from the front so they could fall back to sleep.

Mystery student... again I did this first of all for every lesson, then per half day, then per day but things slipped around Christmas. One child did ask if we could start again though, I gave stickers though. Choccies may be more of an incentive though! hmmmmm.

I do quite like your idea for the L.O. though. Might try it with next years class. And as for the whiteboards... my lot just like doodling, so they will be staying well out of the way unless they're needed! ;)

7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Thank you, Lizdoig - I found that a really interesting read with lots of good ideas. Thanks for sharing!

8. I've also found a lot of these strategies really useful.
    www.classtools.net do a whiteboard version of the random lollipop stick idea.
    I also use 'the magic spot' when tidy up time. I tell chn I have a magic spot ( or2) and whoever tidies it will get a reward ( sticker...) chn tidy up like wee beavers and I 'manage' magic spot to make sure the most helpful get it.

9. Hi - throughout the lesson the children discuss what they think the LO is - and justify their answer. I don't do it all the time but if I think they will get the LO quickly and easily I'd rather they come up with it than me as they are therefore being more responsible for their learning.

10. Ah ha! That's the beauty of it. Because they don't know, they are looking harder at their work to see what it is that they are doing. Previously, the children had been told what they were going to be learning (as we had always been told to do) but the kids weren't putting much effort in. Now I'm finding that they are putting more effort into their learning because THEY think they have 'solved the puzzle' (What is the LO in this lesson?) Even if their ideas aren't absolutely the way I was going - even if they are way off base - they have the chance to explain why they think THEY were right and to match it with my 'idea'. We then agree an LO or even 2! I love the fact that they come up with ideas that I hadn't thought of and if they can 'prove' to the class that they have hit an LO they can add it to the classes/mine.
    When I do give them an LO they often want to add their own as well. For those kids who absolutely <u>have</u> to know ahead of time (can't cope with not knowing and it frustrates them / causes behavioural problems - children on the autistic spectrum come to mind) I'll write it on a white board and show it to them in 'secret'. Actually, I think I'll show it to one child per lesson and they can say how close suggestions are to mine... mmm...

11. Love the Mystery Mess idea - I have lots of mess and the mystery is how it got there... Will start this tomorrow! Thank you. [​IMG]

12. Isn't this a description of the TV programme with Dylan Williams on channel 4 a few weeks back?

13. Have had one of the most challenging years ever teaching this year - was tearing my hair out last night and read your post with a bit of Sue Cowley. Today I tried the Secret Student and the lollipop sticks - together with giving the children pre-assigned seats the work and behaviour has improved considerably!

Thank you so much for this - I have had one of the better days of the year so far!

14. Hi - Yes it is as stated in the first message posted. I wanted to share how well it had worked in my class as so many teachers were having isses with the behaviour in their classes but couldn't see a way out! I think it's a fantastic way to manage their behaviour as it's so quick, easy and non-confrontational - the children have become so much more responsible for their own behaviour! Do you have any other suggestions?

15. So glad!!!

16. some excellent ideas. Will try them out especially the lollypop stick one. A little confused about the triangle one. Would these be 3d triangles then as 2 d ones obviously only have 2 faces. How does one get hold of a class set with the appropriate colours?

17. Sorry about this but we have to make them ourselves - laminated sheets of coloured paper.
    My kids are REALLY upset when I don't use the sticks and feel that it's unfair if I I don't (in contrast to when we first started using them and hated it because they couldn't answer when they wanted to) - what a learning curve!
    I didn't do 'Mystery Mess' today and you'd have thought I had killed an animal infront of the class - this from a group of children who refused to tidy up after themselves 3 weeks ago. Love it!!!
    Liz