1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing Change - any ideas

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by DPsych, Apr 18, 2011.

1. DPsych

DPsych New commenter

I am taking on a new position in September in which I will be responsible for improving teaching and learning, particularly in terms of stretching and differentiation. There are some excellent teachers at the school, but many of the staff have been there for 20 years+ and may be resistant to change. I was wondering whether anyone had an suggestions for helpful courses to go on or books to read which could challenge me to think about different ways to manage this change well
    Thanks!

2. naggin the nag

naggin the nag New commenter

I have just finished an online NCSL course- Introduction to Leading Teaching and Learning, which was really useful. John West-Burnham was the main 'expert' and you can download some of his very readable articles from the NCSL website. Not sure when they're running the course again but that might be a good place to start.
    We had Graham Powell into school and he did INSET on Building Learning Power, based on Guy Claxton's ideas - really good.
    CUREE research summary - identifying what works and why - might point you in the right direction:
    http://www.curee-paccts.com/files/publication/1260453707/Robinson%20Summary%20Extended%20Version.pdf
    Good luck with the new role. Some of the established staff might welcome a bit of innovation and challenge themselves, so hopefully they won't all be resistant. At my school we get the keen hardcore on board and then encourage classroom observations, extending good practice gradually. Hope some of this is helpful.

</h1>

</h1>

3. DPsych

DPsych New commenter

What an incredibly useful response, thank you so much! I will go and look at all of those suggestions. Think the idea of targeting those who are keen first is a good one.

Thanks again!

4. DPsych

DPsych New commenter

What an incredibly useful response, thank you so much! I will have a look at those suggestions and like your idea about targeting those who are keen first and then letting the practice filter out.

Thanks again!

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Leading in a culture of change by Michael Fullen. It even has a work book so you can work through your ideas, hopefully reducing the times you make yourself look like an idiot. Wish I'd had it when i started :)

Equally, he also wrote a book called the Six Secrets of Successful change which i found really useful (especially his bit on how your fist job is to love your staff) or one called The Skinny on being Savvy. This is, as the title would suggest, a short book! The main thing I took from it was about not spending ages Action Planning. His thoughts are that instead of using Ready(know where you're going), Aim (plan, plan, plan), Fire (get going) we should use Ready (know where you're going), Fire (get going), Aim (adjust as you go along)

I'd also recommend Jim Collins Good to Great, not an education book but brilliant for any aspiring leaders.

6. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

first not fist!