1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by moggycat, Dec 2, 2018.

1. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Hi All

I teach a mixed ability year 5 and 6 class. I am part time and actually only teach them 2.5 days a week (the second part of the week). They are extremely challenging and I am looking at any tips or techniques to help keep their focus; help with simple tasks such as lining up at the end of the day, tidying up etc They are noisy and chaotic. They are also very aggressive toward each other (some, not all) and react badly to those children who cause disruptions. I used to be good with behaviour management but I am really struggling here. I try and diffuse the situation when things kick off such as getting them to stand up and do a mini workout, calling out times tables, clapping to a certain beat and getting them to respond. But I need new strategies. Also, if anyone can recommend a particular lesson or idea to use in PSHE with them?

Thank you.

MoggyCat

2. rach7

rach7 New commenter

Try creating a class charter together (SEAL), lots and lots of genuine and heartfelt praise for anyone doing the right thing, some of mine have asked to sit on their own as they recognise that it is better for them and their behaviour, it takes time and it’s exhausting but it has paid off for mine in the end.
    Kind regards
    Rach7

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Have a look at http://smartclassroommanagement.com
    It has tons of articles, with many ingenious strategies. The common theme is to choose a firm, fair behaviour system and apply it consistently, which seems to me to be the best approach. But the writer also has many interesting and useful ways to make the systems work well. Also, I like the way it has links - "if you liked this article, you may Also like to read these..."

Also, have you considered posting this in the TES Behaviour forum?

4. soa10jf

soa10jf New commenter

I use marbles in a Y4/5 class. Collect enough marbles in the jar to gain an end of term treat. Basically driven it into them about collective responsibility and that one person's actions can remove or add marbles.
    It has worked for other classes too.