1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing behaviour on Classroom Assemblies

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by tanar, May 15, 2017.

1. tanar

tanar New commenter

Hello fellow teachers, I am hoping that there is someone out there who can help me with some ideas. I am a PPA teacher and on my days I have to do classroom assemblies to both Year 6 classes, which means around 50 Year 6 students in one class and me alone.
    I have no issues managing their behaviour when I am just with one class, but on classroom assemblies their behaviour just gets out of control. Personally, I don't like classroom assemblies, especially not joint ones, the topics are ok, but the kids are tired and not interested either, so even the good ones end up talking. Some are sitting at the table, the rest are sitting on the floor and using this opportunity to chat and not care. Any help? thanks!

2. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

Why can't you use the same discipline policy whether it's one class or two?
    Other things to try - choose some of the kids to take part in front of the rest of the year group - get them to say lines, act out something, etc. Or divide into groups and ask them to research a given topic and to present it (my daughter's year does this in her secondary so good prep for year 6s!).
    In some cases when kids won't stop talking, we've even started just marking the number 1 on the whiteboard and when someone asks what it is, tell them for every minute you have to wait for them to be quiet, is a minute they owe you sitting in silence in that room during break/lunchtime. It soon quietens down.