1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managing Behaviour in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by beckyrbl, Sep 13, 2015.

1. I am an NQT in an open plan Reception unit of 3 different classes. I have 28 children in my class (the largest class i have experienced) and I am struggling to control them during lessons. I plan on implementing a seating plan for carpet session to combat the low level disruption. But during lessons the chn must choose between a range of independent activities around the room while a small group works with the teacher,

However, they often begin to roam the classroom and help themselves to other toys. I then find it difficult to get their attention. I use a shaker where every child must stop and listen, but many children refuse to listen and carry on playing.

How can I ensure every child stays on task and ensure every child stops and listens when asked? (the classroom is quite large and noisy due to the open plan arrangement)

Thanks in advance!

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Hi there

Is this how you have been told to organise your class? Who is your mentor?

First off- what about your baseline assessments? They should be completed before you do any teaching.

Secondly- of course they go off task and help themselves to other toys. This is called child initiated play and is good practice in Early Years. At this point in Reception they should be mostly, if not exclusively choosing their play and being allowed a good amount of choice and freeflow. My class choose what they want to play, both inside and out. BEcause I am assessing them at the moment, I am doing very little teaching. We have talk times, story times and games/singing on the carpet at key moments in the day (they are mornings only) and snack time altogether.

IN answer to your question- you can't! At the end of the year you can, but not at the start. They need training up to accessing independent actitivities while you teach a group. Why not allow them free flow while you teach and ask your TA to extend their play/get to know them as you do so?

Are you Early Years trained? Try reading some Alistair Bryce Clegg or accessing his websit ABD does for some ideas on how to engage your class. You are experiencing problems because your expectations are not appropriate for the first weeks of reception, I would surmise.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The above poster has put it beautifully. (The website suggested is called ABC Does, though.)

If the room is large, a shaker may be too quiet. Perhaps try a tambourine or bell instead.

Use one of your morning carpet sessions to explain your expectations for when you use the instrument. Tell the children what they should do when they hear it (eg. stop what they are doing and put their hands up). Play a game to practise: get them to dance around, then play the instrument, and praise those who stop and put their hands up quickly. Repeat until everyone gets the idea.

After the carpet session, use the instrument several times during the morning to practise in a real-life situation. Again, use lots of praise for those who listen, verbal reminders for those who have forgotten the expectations, and ask your TA to help you get the attention of those who aren't listening.

They will all get there as long as you are clear about expectations and follow through when they are not being followed (don't let them get away with carrying on playing - wait until everyone is doing the right thing before you move on). It may take time and perseverance, but it will be worth it when you feel confident that you can get everyone's attention when you need it.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

You can't expect Reception-aged children to respond quickly to signals from the beginning. It takes training and repetition for them to understand how to do things or what your expectations are. Keep reminding them about what the shaker means, your expectations and give lots of praise to those doing the right thing. It will take a little time.