1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

managing achievement in OCR Nationals

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Captain Obvious, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I can only really speak from my observations of other staff, I have a very "rolling window" approach to OCR Nationals (which usually works...and sometimes doesn't).
    What I've seen work is a very didactic approach that makes sure students get the basics sorted for the task very early in the lesson so that even if the weak students don't do much more, they should have at least passed (possibly with a little extra help during the lesson).
    Similarly, writing frames could immensely ease things - not only keeping groups roughly together, but also ensuring that the weaker students actually do what the assessment criteria demands (well, that's the theory...).

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

One way we look at this is a fairly similar structure to lessons:
    • Starter - "Where are you, what do you need to do this lesson?" Students write their own set of steps to be completed this lesson
    • 1/2 time - "Stop - look at the steps you said you'd achieve - which have you completed" Peer or self assessed.
    • Final Plenary - Peer or self assessment of work completed, set own homework.
    Hope this makes sense.

3. thank you for the advice and all suggestions,
    Capt. Obvious, could you be more specific about what you mean by rolling window? Do you mean focusing on one task with the whole class and them following the task during that lesson, then all moving on? Do they all complete it before you move on?
    DEmsley, do all complete the task for homework if not done in the lesson? I think I probably need to give smaller targets for each lesson, so I keep them broadly together and prevent this huge spread of current tasks. Does that sound about right?

4. Well, rolling window may be talking it up a bit. What I mean is that lower ability kids may be on AO2 (for example), the majority of the class is on AO3 while the high flyers are on AO4 (or beyond). I'll have generally briefed the class about some things, but then leave them with e-mail copies of task expectations and writing frames, so at least they have all the required resources.
    It's less about formal lessons and more about ensuring progress is being made. If you want to get really technical you can then start seating students according to what work they're doing to cut down on what you have to say to certain students.
    With a decent group I did receive a Good grading from SMT - the lesson was targeted at the bulk of the group in one particular area, while in reality the class got on with what they needed to do. I prefer to get the work done right, rather than set a deadline and have them get it wrong and need to add more to it.
    I tried deadlines and moving on at specific times with a different (less motivated) group and that just went wrong for me (Lots of failed AOs, lessons that weren't relevant due to students needing to catch up). It can require a bit more work as you're marking stuff in dribs and drabs and mentally you need to be able to keep track of where everyone is.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Difficult to keep them all together IME. We use our VLE (quite effectively IMHO) to provide them the support materials they need to identify the tasks and what is required from them for each task. (NWLG materials are very useful as well as the SERIF stuff).
    HTH