1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managers uncertain about their purpose will generate more meetings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-50418317

"Meetings at work should be seen as a form of "therapy" rather than about decision-making, say researchers.

Academics from the University of Malmo in Sweden say meetings provide an outlet for people at work to show off their status or to express frustration.

Professor Patrik Hall says they are becoming increasingly frequent - as more managerial and "strategy" jobs generate more meetings.

But he says despite there being more meetings "few decisions are made".

Prof Hall has investigated an apparent contradiction in how people can have a low opinion of work meetings, yet their numbers keep increasing.

Looking for a purpose
    The political scientist says the rise in meetings reflects changes in the workforce - with fewer people doing and making things and an increase in those involved in "meetings-intense" roles such as strategists, advisers, consultants and managers.

"People don't do concrete things any more," he says.

Instead he says there has been a rise of managerial roles, which are often not very well defined, and where "the hierarchy is not that clear"."

Thoughts?

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes, we need meetings otherwise we run the risk of accidentally forgetting who is in charge. There's many a time when I've been grateful for this reminder when I might otherwise have squandered time usefully tidying up my desk ready for the next day.

We also need meetings so that people get a chance to sit in the front row and practice nodding, or to sit in the back row and practice their skills in looking smaller than they actually are. Both are useful professional attributes which can be taken away and applied on an ongoing basis to how you meet your PM targets.

When I started teaching we had one departmental meeting a month and a whole school meeting three times a year. Interestingly, I'd look at the people running the meetings and find myself wanting to be like them.

Unlike now, when I find myself wanting to sketch them in dense biro caricature. Back row of course.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I'm so glad I'm out of it. Meetings were always pointless from a management who thought that "consultation" meant just them telling us what they were going to do. How many hours were lost that could have been used doing something useful (like picking my nose, scratching my bum, or taking the pi$$ out of management) I know not.

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

- with fewer people doing and making things and an increase in those involved in "meetings-intense" roles such as strategists, advisers, consultants and managers.

Is it time for a Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B strategy? :D

cissy3 likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@sbkrobson When I started teaching, in the late Seventies, I cannot remember having formal meetings, or informal ones either. Come to think of it, I do not remember going to any 'meetings' in the strict definition of the term; none that left any impression on me anyway. Most 'meetings; have just been voice recitals.

If I had back all the time I have wasted in meetings, I would still need to use a comb!

sbkrobson likes this.