1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Managerial Mental Health

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Gavster77, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

I suspect my departmental manager is mentally unwell. It is most apparent at this time of year. He constantly complains and moans - to a near hysterical level - to anyone who will listen about the pressures of the job. Consuming his staff's non contact time in the process. He is obsessed with the logstics (just bring something homemade, an Indian restaurant is too expensive etc) a light Christmas lunch the department are organizing next week.

Last year he suffered a personal bereavement but I think this year he is displaying the stages of real grief and depression over that. I think he needs to go off sick for his and all our sakes. I don't want to bring grievance as he is a good sort usually - though it has been a while since he last displayed that.

Do I go to the heads of school and ask them to persuade him to go off sick? Could they even do that I wonder?
    Answers on a postcard please...

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Don't think it would be permissible to advise anyone to advocate anyone going off sick. However, it may be advisable to approach management with your concerns, either individually or collectively. And it is good that you are concerned, assuming that it is for altruistic reasons.

Has he been promoted to that post recently?

3. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Frankly the ball is in his manager’s court - whoever his senior manager link is. You could if you feel you can approach them, intimate your concerns. However mental health is a minefield.
    Just as a situation might have to come to a head for anything to happen about a disruptive wean, your manager will need to do something very public and very unacceptable for guaranteed senior management action.