1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Management want our TA's to teach all our topic!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sazholthouse, Oct 12, 2015.

1. sazholthouse

sazholthouse New commenter

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. I work in F2 and for 3 hours of the teaching day, the TAs are required (weather permitting) to work outside with the children during English, maths, and topic. We try to plan exciting, engaging and active learning to make being outside fun and inspiring. Recently the management have started saying that we need to protect the TA's from being outside all day and that the teachers should go outside. We had a rota outside which had teachers spending 2 afternoons outside and the TAs 3. Somehow it was felt that this wasn't good enough. During the discussion I said that I love being outside and would happily be outside every afternoon, but... Before I could say what the but was, it was leaped upon and decided that teachers will now be outside every afternoon, and that TA's will teach all topic.
    We have quite strict and difficult performance related pay targets and one of them is to get 40% of our class to make better than expected progress in reading and maths. We also have to get 80% of our whole class to make expected or better than progress, and 20% better than. I have so many concerns about this afternoon plan that I don't know where to start -
    Why should I hand over such a large part of my teaching role to someone less qualified than me?
    How do I know that they will pick up on issues that need to be resolved and push the 40%?
    What will parents think if they know teachers are not teaching topic?
    What about the kids and de-valuing topic because the teacher never delivers it?
    What will OFSTED say when they find out that teachers don't deliver topic in F2?
    Why do I have to miss out on all those lovely creative activities - the best part of the day?
    How do I plan for and assess something that I never teach?
    When I have raised my concerns with the head of F2 she has said 'The decision has been made. We are not going to reverse it because of the feelings of one member of staff, when everyone else is happy. You let me worry about ofsted. Just do as you are told.' I am livid! I'm on the SLT and the curriculum leader for flips sake, and I will carry the can about the quality of topic teaching when OFSTED come!
    This is not about being outside, or about TAs being as valid or less valid than teachers. This is about my professionalism, and handing over responsibility for my class to someone else for 5 afternoons a week. Being outside is much nicer and more enjoyable with no pressure at all, but I just don't think it's right.

What does anyone think? I would really appreciate other teacher's views or opinions. Would you agree to this way forward?
    Thanks for reading! I feel a bit better just for typing it out! :-D
    Sarah

2. Bajan-night

Bajan-night Occasional commenter

I would wonder why you agreed to numerical targets but that's me bring cynical!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Surely this cannot be true?

TAs leading learning for the major part of the week? Mornings are usually longer than afternoons, aren't they?

Actually - should TAs be doing anything other than support? For any length of time?

They are not qualified to teach. Unqualified as teachers

Quote:

A Department for Education (DfE) spokeswoman said: "The rules are clear - they should not be teaching."

The DfE said teaching assistants and other classroom support staff played a vital role in the classroom, short of teaching whole classes of children.

As a member of SLt you would seem to have an opportunity to discuss this with the Head and other SLT.

Best wishes

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@sazholthouse

You work for mooks. Challenge this and if the mooks insist on their mookery then get your union involved immediately.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

We have to because the targets have to be SMART....what to do??

6. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

The whole system baffles the mind....I just don't think I have mental capacity to make sense of it. Told SLT today that very thing during my performance management meeting.

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

What would you replace it with?

8. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I'm a TA and I would be horrified and worried if this happened at my school! What do your TA's think about it?

9. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter

As a (retired) TA, I would refuse to teach!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The DfE spokesperson above is very clear.

TAs should not be teaching.

Best wishes

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe use this as a fabulous opportunity to teach outside?
    Ask on early years for outdoor teaching and learning ideas for whatever your topic is next term.

12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

TARGETS for Maths in Foundation Stage? Oh. Dear. God! I have made my views on this clear before but next Ofsted will be scanning foetuses to see if they have made 3 sublevels of progress.

PS would love to know how the teaching outside thing is going in January when its -10.C :D