1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

management time - numeracy co ordinators

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Feb 25, 2012.

1. As recently appointed numeracy co ordinator, I cover maths across the school through PPA. I also take a year 6 maths group for all their numeracy lessons. I have recently had 2 hours of my management time taken away to do extra numeracy lessons with that class.
    I am feeling a bit fed up about it and wondering if i am being unreasonable in thinking this is a bit out of order.
    What do think?

2. As recently appointed numeracy co ordinator, I cover maths across the school through PPA. I also take a year 6 maths group for all their numeracy lessons. I have recently had 2 hours of my management time taken away to do extra numeracy lessons with that class.
    I am feeling a bit fed up about it and wondering if i am being unreasonable in thinking this is a bit out of order.
    What do think?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

this implies you have more than 2 hours of management time as numeracy co-ord which is quite a lot. Also part of being numeracy leader is stepping in to help with boosting attainment, which you are doing in that time.

In my school, 2 form entry nursery to year 6, the numeracy leader gets no timetabled management time at all. They have to ask for odd bits here and there for a specific reason.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

What would you need the time to do? If you are expected to monitor maths by scrutinising planning or data and observing teaching for example, this would be impossible to do without some extra time. However if you are doing all the teaching, you must have a pretty clear picture of what is going on.
    If you think you need extra time to do anything which has been outlined in your action plan and is part of the SEF or SIP then you should be entitled to have time to do these things.
    Carrie [​IMG]

5. As we are an improving school and numeracy is a key area there is a huge amount to do - especially as i have only recently been appointed. I don't teach all the maths across the school - that wouldn't be possible - but i am responsible for revision, intervention groups, action plan, scrfuting, etc etc.
    I take your point about it sounding like i have a lot of time - but in fact now i am down to my basic PPA time and i can see that it will be a struggle to get all my work done in the time i now have.
    But thanks for your comments it's useful to know how other schools do things.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

in my school, subject time works out to 6 minutes per day worked. which is accrued and claimed when you have enough to make a half or whole day.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Using that formula I'm entitled to roughly 960 hours [​IMG]