1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Man v Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Did anyone lese watch this (Dave 7.30 tonight) I was horrified and intrigued, mreal car crash food. Who on earth would want to eat a 12"high cheeseburger? It consisted of n12 quarterpounders each topped with cheese in a bun with all the usualgarnishes. I couldn't stop watching but was a bit disgusted at the crowd cheering the presenter on!!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Did anyone lese watch this (Dave 7.30 tonight) I was horrified and intrigued, mreal car crash food. Who on earth would want to eat a 12"high cheeseburger? It consisted of n12 quarterpounders each topped with cheese in a bun with all the usualgarnishes. I couldn't stop watching but was a bit disgusted at the crowd cheering the presenter on!!

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's a guilty pleasure of ours [​IMG].
    It's often horrendous but totally compelling. I always, like you, end up horrified at gluttony and shouting at the telly evident wastefulness in these places - looking at many of the clientele, they can't all eat all of their food and the food waste must be enormous. Although they were in Arizona, the fattest state in America I seem to remember, so there were a few huge people on tonight. I can't understand why the presenter isn't fatter though! None of it is healthy though, his liver and arteries must be in an awful state.
    I would have eaten one of those burgers and would have had to have ensured that I ate healthily for the rest of the day to balance it out. 12 though! Plus that hot dog thing and the brisket nacho thing he ate earlier on the programme!
    Can't resist watching it though. Got it series-linked on the HD Box for brainless watching [​IMG]

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Shall it remain our guilty secret Nick and we can carry on being horrified!!
    The brisket thing looked yuk! Brisket should never be cooked in so much liquid, you lose so much of the flavour and some of the protein!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have seen a few episodes of this....and keep telling myself I won't watch another - ever!....and then I am drawn back!
    Some of the 'challenges' are downright obscene and sinful. I remember the sandwich with 8oz pulled pork, 8oz salt beef, 8oz roast ham, and 8oz of bacon...with swiss and american cheese ...and salad...with a bowlful (= bucketful) of fries. Noone should even attempt to eat that at one sitting. I know I'm a light meat-eater...but please, 2 pounds of the stuff?! How can any stomach digest that?
    And it is all but sinful to eat that much when people are starving!....and to film it for the purposes of 'entertainment'!
    So why do I keep sneaking back for one 'last' peek?

6. I have to confess that this show is quickly becoming a firm favourite. Yes, okay, no one needs that much food in one sitting. BUt Adam's passion for food shines through. His enthusiasm for cooking (and eating!) is infectious and it's fantastic to see such emotion when it comes to cooking with love.
    Of course it's not serious television and it's meant to be taken with a pinch of salt (no pun intended). Each to their own, but I have a lot of respect for Adam. He's worked in the restaurant industry all his life and it's just nice to see somebody being so passionate about food.
    Although I hate the fact that I'm always so hungry after watching!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I don't mean to watch it...I just sit there while Mr EG watches it and somehow get dragged in.

8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

It's strangely compelling viewing - not one for the food snobs though [​IMG]