1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mammogram recall

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by annd, Feb 11, 2007.

1. I have been recalled from my first mammogram - turned 50 last year. I have not felt any lumps, can't see anything in my (rather ample) breasts and was feeling fairly positive until a few hours ago. The appointment is tomorrow - can't take my husband as he is away. Anybody been through this already? Any ideas for how I can sleep tonight?!
    Any advice/support gratefully received!

2. I have been recalled from my first mammogram - turned 50 last year. I have not felt any lumps, can't see anything in my (rather ample) breasts and was feeling fairly positive until a few hours ago. The appointment is tomorrow - can't take my husband as he is away. Anybody been through this already? Any ideas for how I can sleep tonight?!
    Any advice/support gratefully received!

3. salsera

salsera New commenter

Is there any one else you can take with you - a family member or a friend - just someone to hold your hand. I'm not initmating at bad news just sometimes it helps to have some support.

My thoughts are with you - and I hope that all will be well.

Salsera
    x

4. Thankyou for your kind words Salsera. I can't think of anyone I would like to go with except my husband or my mum - neither is available tomorrow. I haven't told anyone else because I don't want to think there is any need to, if you know what I mean! I was a nurse in my previous career and I know there are lots of "false positives" from any screening, but I didn't realise it was so scary even being recalled - the figures are (acc. to the www) 60 in every 500 recalled women have cancer. So the odds are pretty good!

5. cornflake

cornflake Occasional commenter

I hope everything goes okay. I'm sure it will.

6. My Mum was recalled and was really worried about it - but it turned out that it was just because the image was a bit blurred and they wanted a second go. I'm sure it will be fine. Best of luck.

7. Hi, best wishes and hope everything's ok. Once you get there you might find you're fine on your own and if you get the all clear will be glad you hadn't worried others. You should have been given leaflets with the letter explaining what will happen - repeat mammogram plus scan. Although it's very scary for you, the staff will be superb at explaining things and reassuring you.

8. Was recalled last year after my first scan. Exactly the same as you - no indication of any problems. Turned out that it was cysts which showed up on the mammogram and didn't need any treatment. School cleaner was also called baxck and she was fine as well. The chances are that all will be well with you ,but I know what you are going through. All the best for tomorrow.

9. Just to let everyone know - it was fine, exactly as you all said! My husband surprised me by turning up at the hospital after all (he's been away for the weekend but came back early) and the staff were superb. Had another mammogram, breast exam and ultrasound, all of which were fine. The doctor said it is very common to be recalled after the first one as they have nothing to compare it with and they don't know what is "normal" for you. I was totally impressed with the whole thing, staff superb, waited a long time but with apologies from staff and a pleasant waiting area.
    Just one thing - there were a couple of other husbands/partners hanging about and they had a moan about having to wait. I don't really know what people want - my american friend is amazed that the whole service is free, compared with the States where everything medical is of the highest quality - if you can pay!
    So thanks to all who were so positive. I can honestly say that if there had been anything, I would have trusted the staff to be totally professional. But I am glad there wasn't.

10. salsera

salsera New commenter

Brilliant news.

xxx

11. I am so glad. have been wondering how you got on.

Have a lovely evening with hubby.

12. Glad you were OK. I think you are right, many people don't appreciate how lucky we are with the NHS despite its faults.

13. cornflake

Really glad it all went well in the end.

I have to have my first screening over half term and am getting a bit anxious about it. I'm at high risk of BC, so have to have it done much earlier than usual - still in 30s - so can't ask anyone I'm friendly with what it's like either! Is there anything obvious I need to know?

14. Really pleased everything was ok for you.
    Post 12: Good luck with your screening. If it's a mammogram you're going for, again the staff will be excellent and will answer anything you want to know. I know you'll be nervous - and just as you're holding your breath and tensing up to have the screening done they'll tell you to relax! It's a very quick process; momentarily uncomfortable - don't forget to ask them before you leave when and how you will hear the result.

15. Cornflake - in the same position as you. Just had first screening. I'm 37. Waiting for results.

Its fine. The staff who dealt with me were very straight forward and explained everything as they went. Felt a bit self concious but the way I was treated helped a lot with that. (A smear test is worse.)
    Good luck - but you will be ok

16. I have just taken my sister for her first mammogram. She has Down's syndrome and about 3/4 year old level. She loves Dora and Winnie the pooh so it was like taking a child! I didn't know how she would react but in the end we had such a laugh. When the nurse handled her boobs she gave her such a look and said" BL**DY HELL what are you doing?"She didn't flinch and was absolutely fine. Afterwards she just kept saying "EEh I don,'t know!"I just hope we are not recalled!

17. I don't know how I managed to miss this thread, but I have found it reassuring to read. I went for my first mammogram nearly 2 weeks ago and yesterday I received the letter I was dreading: the recall. Of course, I have convinced myself that I have lumps/bumps/pains in either/both of my breasts and waver between thinking postively and contemplating imminent death. I think possibly the worst bit is not knowing. I have until Wednesday to wait - seems forever - and looks like I'll be going alone. How did you get through the wait?

18. cornflake

Thanks to all the reassuring replies - yes, its for a mammogram (I go every year for a "feel" so I don't know why I'm so anxious about it). I already have the date set up for seeing the consultant once the results are through, so at least I won't have that to wonder about - thanks.

TKOLLIE: I hope that the time passes quickly for you. I think to help, just hang on to the ideas in this thread that most recalls are not cos there is anything wrong, and it will be okay.

To all you lovely supportive girls: hope we all get the all clear!

19. Tk hope it all goes well. I'm not suprised you are reacting the way you are. I found a lump in my arm pit once and by the time my GP had a look I had chosen the hymns for my funeral.
    You can get called back just to have a clearer mammogram.
    Good luck xxx

20. How soon after the mammogram were you recalled? I am not worried about myself but it will be terrible if my sister is recalled.Good luck to everyone! The waiting is really awful, I know I have been through it, mine turned out to be a cyst!