1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malt Whisky

Discussion in 'Personal' started by camronfry, Apr 5, 2012.

1. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

Thanks to the Easter holidays I've been enjoying a few glasses of the water of life. I've got a bottle of Glennfiddich on the go at the minute, I know a lot of folk think it's too 'commercial', but it's still a crackin' drink.
    It's a tough call to name a favourite single malt, but after much deliberation my vote goes to the smokey, peaty tones of Talisker.
    A good single malt has got to be the best drink on the planet.
    So the ballot is open, what's the best malt whisky........

2. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

Thanks to the Easter holidays I've been enjoying a few glasses of the water of life. I've got a bottle of Glennfiddich on the go at the minute, I know a lot of folk think it's too 'commercial', but it's still a crackin' drink.
    It's a tough call to name a favourite single malt, but after much deliberation my vote goes to the smokey, peaty tones of Talisker.
    A good single malt has got to be the best drink on the planet.
    So the ballot is open, what's the best malt whisky........

3. I really like Lagavulin, but Talisker is pretty darn nice as well! Going to get my bottle now.....

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Depending on my mood, either:
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    or
    Ardbeg 10 Year Old
    or
    Lagavulin 16 Year Old.
    I like the Islays. The Finlaggan mystery bottling is worth searching. No-one has owned up to who made it but my money's on a young Ardbeg. 5 or 7 year possibly.
    Non-Islay favourite is probably Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood.

5. Personally I think the best malt whiskey is the one I give my Dad for his birthday because I can't stand the stuff! Give me a cocktail any day!

6. *shouts* dekka lad, where are you?!! :)
    For me, it has to be Highland Park. It's fairly commercial too, but I love it.
    Old Pulteney is also wonderful.

7. Before opening the thread I was going to champion my favourite Talisker! Just the right amount of smoke and cream. I bought a 16 yr old at Christmas and it didn't last till New Year. Gorgeous.

8. Generally, the older , stronger and more expensive the better

9. That's my husband's favourite, too.

10. When making marmalade, I add a good slug of Laphroaig. Brightens up the mornings no end!

11. Craganmore gets my vote

Wonders about a TES 'bring your favorite and we will share get to gether'

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Okay....I admit to being a Whisky/Whiskey ignoramus...I occasionally drink a wee tot in a glass of warm milk - generally I don;t think I'd waste a fine single malt on that!..otherwise I don't drink the stuff very often...(I do however appreciate a fine cognac....and - oh the shame, I like the smell of a fine cigar to accompany it!...I hate smoking, but love the aroma of a good cigar....how strange is that!)....anyway, back on topic..sort of...
    I have a couple of small miniatures (I collect freebies!) on my shelf....three bottles ....one states it is 'The Black Grouse' (and is clearly marked as 'blended)...One is 'The Singleton from Dufftown' (...somehow I keep thinking 'The Simpsons!!!)...and the last is something called 'Glayva' (some sort of liqueur).......so, come on all you connoisseurs....are any of these actually worth drinking?

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Agreed.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Glenlivet was a favouriteof my Father's and became my nip of choice too.

15. To you or to the marmalade, cosmos? ;-)

16. Should be good - typical Speyside with a vanilla sponge cakey kind of sweetness to it. Not a big peaty one so supposedly easy to drink for a novice whisky drinker. Ignore the macho posturing and add as much water as you like to it. It will change as you do so so add water bit by bit and taste it until you find a balance you like. Most master distillers taste their own whisky diluted right down to about 20% abv because that's where the flavour comes out over the alcohol.
    Sweet whisky liquer - bit like Drambuie.
    This is really peaty as it was made for the Scandinavian market and they go crazy for peaty whisky. It would be interesting to drink this side by side with the Singleton and get an idea of the two most different styles of whisky - although the Singleton is a better quality dram. If you're putting any in your warm milk it should be the Glayva - the Black Grouse will be horrible with milk!

17. ...and there endeth the lecture! Sorry, my family are from Dufftown so I've sort of absorbed all this stuff since I was tiny!

18. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

The Singleton is definitely worth drinking. It's a smooth, fairly light malt. Dufftown does sound like it's from The Simpsons, but is also a pretty special place as it's a small town but has nine distilleries (including Balvenie and Glennfiddich).
    Black Grouse is a more refined version of Famous Grouse - it has a higher single malt content and is supposed to have a more peaty flavour than its cheaper cousin (I've never had it myself though). Probably worth drinking or saving for a guest who insists on adulterating whisky with such travesties as coke or lemonade. Or if the weather keeps pretty chilly you might want to mix it with some ginger wine (equal parts of both) and make a lovely boozy 'Whisky Mac' to warm you up.
    Glayva is a horrendous sickly sweet drink which (if it's possible) is even more vile than Southern Comfort - give it someone you don't like and/or has no taste buds.

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Thanks airy and camronfry...birthdad had very fixed taste with alcohol - the cheaper the better as far as he was concerned!....stepdad was a Rum man, and introduced me to the joys of overproof he brought back from his native Jamaica (though he did drink the occasional Bells whisky)....so my education has been somewhat lacking!
    I will probably try The Singleton myself...maybe with a little water.
    I think I will also give The Black Grouse a go...the 'peatiness' isn't off-putting, I like a strong flavour.....and I do actually have some Stones Ginger Wine on hand (I mix it with cheaper brandy on a cold night to keep out the chills!)
    The Glayva will not be drunk by me!...I don't really have a sweet tooth.....It will either go to Mum...or maybe I'll consider pouring it over icecream! (That's what I do with Baileys!)

20. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The Glen Marnoch single malt from Aldi is surprisingly good. And really cheap too.