1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malpractice - what will happen next?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by blueskydreaming, May 9, 2019.

1. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It's a qualification that is assessed solely through coursework. A colleague has made an error, which means that a handful of students will likely be disqualified (I can't see any other outcome). Just wondering what will happen next? What will be the consequences for the department/school?

Will the exam board want every single piece of coursework sent to them this year/in future years? Will they increase monitoring in some other way? (We're an international school) Will this affect their monitoring of the other subjects of theirs that we offer?

Anyone had similar happen at their school?

2. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Not experienced this in a school, but I also work for an awarding body with coursework-assessed qualifications.

Wherever possible we would not disadvantage the students, depending of course on the circumstances.

If it's something which can be rectified, for example with the students completing a different unit or re-doing something in a different way, that would be the preferred option ion the short term.

In the longer term this will probably bring some additional scrutiny upon the school. If it's found to be an isolated incident, with appropriate measures taken to avoid a recurrence, then this can be reasonably short lived.

If you want to PM me with some details I'd be happy to advise to the best of my ability.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Good chance that they will or ask for everything to be remarked and resubmitted. I did have one school withdraw most of their students (and they said sack the teacher) after I moderated work. Would depend how bad it was.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It does happen. Taught the wrong poems, old spec used etc.

There is 'enhanced monitoring' which lasts 3 years I believe. Not too much of a problem.

The teacher often gets it in the neck quite badly. But really, there should be systems within the school to check this. Too high stakes to rely on one person. The Head of Teaching and Learning should have a secondary check in place.

Won't affect other subjects. This is wholly subject focused.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@NewbieHoD Thank you!

@border_walker This is my worst case scenario fear! It's a large number of students taking the qualifiction.

@MrMedia The teacher deserves it in the neck, in this situation, unfortunately. But if the exam board advises us there will be enhanced monitoring that might give him the kick up the backside he needs. Good to know other subjects won't be affected - thank you!

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Always used to see it in the newspaper and think, phew, it wasn't me. Always be aware of the five year rule Mr Media I would think!

Right now, I'm advising teachers teaching five year GCSEs to understand that the life span of a GCSE and its exam papers and texts is five years. We are just about to do the third year. Year tens will do the fourth year and so years seven and eight will be doing the NEW GCSE. Teaching them stuff for the old GCSE is the same kind of uninformed mistake. And yet, there they are, writing KS3 curriculums that will be wrong.

tb9605, blueskydreaming and Piranha like this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Here is a link to the JCQ paper on malpractice, which gives many examples of coursework malpractice and the penalties applied. https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office...ctice-in-examinations-and-assessments-2018-19 . It does not appear likely to me that it will be as bad as your worse fears. However, given that there is nothing you can do about it, I don't think it is worth worrying about what might happen. It would be good if people could try not to take it out on your colleague, who will have a lot more to worry about.

8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

In the case I mentioned, marks were simply plucked out of the air. Only one student was given a justifiable mark. Some time ago now, but remember an A Level teacher not noticing that the sylabus had changed. Exam board did give the students one based on the old one. (It was probably a spare one, which they usually have for most exams).

But I have moderated coursework were students have clearly been taught badly (possibly due to new or supply teachers) and do get penalised.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter