1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mallorca?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Aug 18, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Spent many a happy villa holidays in the Northern part of Mallorca, Pollenca, Formentor, Valdermossa, Soller and their ports. Probably can't spell all the names, but from when the kids were young we have been going there, and I once spent two blissful weeks on my own with rose and a swimming pool.

It's difficult to know, but sometimes I just want those sultry days to be permanent. Not really liking the way the UK is going, and don't believe the economy is half what we are told, hence Greece out of the question although I also love Corfu. There is a lot of the Spaniard in me, or rather the southern med in my heritage. Something to do with the Spanish Armarda.

If you had the money, and you felt you had done your job as a mother, would you just take a chance on it for good, or would you be reticent about the economies of either Spain or the UK? My family all love it over there and have been travelling the wooden train from Soller to Palma from infranthood to adult, so are sunny days just a pipe dream and unwise, or is it best to follow your love of the sun? I would also like to know if anyone has been on winter breaks in the Northern part of the area and what they think? I could keep my country cottage in UK just about for the kids by renting it out, but I just feel something is calling to me...........

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I also have happy memories of holidays in Pollensa. Palma is such a beautiful city - I'd like to live there. We hope to downsize next year, so spending time in sunnier climes is on the agenda.

3. What part of "holiday" are you confusing with "real life"?

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

spain have just passed a law that led to a woman being fined - for posting a photo of a police car parked illegally in a disabled bay.

we haven't got that - yet

5. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I wouldn't be so sure! Maybe not that, but similar things. Where I live in the countryside, they still think 5 year olds can drive tractors on farms, so when I saw that happening I felt worried as the kid was previously running after said tractor about to get his legs hacked off. I found out that the County Force had recently made new laws under health and safety, about such things, as a 2 year old had been decimated by farm machinery a few years before, and so illegal to have child under 13 anywhere near, and only then allowed in the cab, and not driving. The laws of this country and the knowledge people have of them is just as daft as it probably is in Spain, Emily.

However, I do not think it right that any kid should be anywhere industrial equipment of that scale, and it is surprising there are so many out there that think it is. So parking.... no big deal.