1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male Teaching Assistants

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gratzia, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I would like to know if any primary schools have male teaching assistants and if so what age group are they and do they work in KS1, KS2 or both?
    I think some 'older' male TAs would be an advantage in primary schools.
    What do you think?

2. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">We had one at my old school, he was married to the Y1 teacher and joined the opposite Y1 class as TA for a statemented child. When the child (autistic boy) left after Y6 his TA stayed on in KS2. TA was passionate about history and always got fully involved with any dressing up/theme days - a brilliant Viking!</font>

3. Yes, I worked with a male TA. He was a qualified Teacher (qualified abroad) and took a TA role in a year 6 class until he could gain QTS over here too. He was superb and highly respected by the children.

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Yes we have a male TA and I was one! Seems to be a good thing. Lots of our children need more good role models. He is Key stage 2 and 3 classes at our school.

5. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Yes Paulie I thought they would be good role models too. They're always going on about needing more male teachers in primary schools so why not teaching assistants?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am a male TA working in year 2. We have had two male TAs previously in our school. Are they really so thin on the ground?
    Many of the children in KS1 where I work have little or no contact with their father or have poor male role models. I provide a good one apparentley.

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Our problem is, although suppose this can happen with females too: they keep going off to become teachers! (Yes I see the irony in this statement, as I did just that too!) So maybe as you had said in op older men maybe looking for a part time job would be good?

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

We have 2 - 1 in each keystage and are both great. I know lucky we are though as my previous school had none.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I took the job with the thought I could take a look at the teaching profession and possibly go on to become a teacher.
    After a year as a TA I am convinced that I am much happier where I am.

10. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

I have recently had two male TAs -one who worked in EYFS and one in KS2. Both great -but 'maleness' is not their strength, it is there ability to support the children's learning that I value. The fact that it is good to have a representation of society in school is a good ideal but i would not let this over-ride other attributes. The fact is most applicants for the role are female as is the case for staff in general in primary.

11. I once worked with an AMAZING male TA. He was fantastic, calm and the perfect role model for the boys in that tough inner city school. He's now training to teach - he'll be wonderful. I wish there were more male TAs, and primary teachers.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have several male TA and HLTAs (We are a large school!). A few are great role models and a few are definitely not. Bit like the female ones really.

13. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I'm amazed at the posts so far because I don't know of any male TAs in my LEA.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a supply I meet a few male TA's in the schools i go to. One that I go to regulary has a superb one.He has a great way with kids, is flexible, kids adore him and he is a fluent spanish teacher and kids really learn so quick from him when he taught the year 6 class Spanish I had last year.
    I advised him to reconsider teaching as he was steady, firm and fair, he controlled kids better than me and far more patient than my advancing years will allow me to be!

15. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I was one. And I like to think quite a good one.
    I have worked with one, as a teacher, but sadly he was dreadful.
    Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

16. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

The reason I started this post was because someone I know is training to be a TA at the moment and he would certainly be an assett to any primary school due to his personality, commitment and caring attitude, however, he doesn't feel confident that there will be a job at the end of it due to his age. He is in his fifties.
    I wonder what the chances are of him even getting an interview? I would be interested to know if any headteachers would ever consider a male TA in their 50's.

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I really think he would be an asset too. Not a TA but before I started my school emplyed a man in his 60s, he was a behaviour support, so focused more on the behaviour side ( mainly with KS3 though.) Less classroom time more 1:1 support with individuals. Everyone loved him children and staff alike. I certainly think my head would give him an interview.

18. There is a headteacher's forum - try posting this on there and you'll get some views from heads.

19. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

Thanks becky70, I never thought of that.
    Would still like to hear teacher's comments aswell.

20. Gratzia

Gratzia New commenter

I know the last post was a long time ago, but just to let you know he was successful and is now working full time in Primary education and loving it! He is an asset to the schools he works in through his personality and life's experience.