1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male Teachers & Boyish Culture

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Elohim, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Not all stereotypes are bad or completely inaccurate.

2. I think your unreasonable reaction isn't out of the ordinary on this female dominated forum.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

??

4. *roar

I'm a bad speller at the best of times.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

So do we all need to start worrying about the male culture and the detrimental effect this has on girls then?
    Seriously? The injured carry on? They don't do this at professional level, it is worrying they do in a primary school. If a child is injured they need medical treatment. If however you merely mean 'bumped' then it is nothing unusual, they are in most schools.
    Sod the lightsabers...we do this every time we act the deathly sword fight from Hamlet! Year 2 are experts at death scenes! And it isn't just the boys either!

6. Minnieminx - there's absolutely nothing for me to respond to here since you haven't made any points and have only written pedantic gibberish. Another female missing the point entirely.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think your aggressive response isn't out of the ordinary for a troll who doesn't get out much

8. Anger at not being able to intelligently argue against my point will get you nowhere.

9. Msz

Sorry I didn't realise you actually had a point. I thought you were describing your trip trap trip out

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Elohim, before you get started on me - I'm a bloke. Definitely not a female.
    I think it's you that is missing the point, in your sheltered experience of primary schools.
    No-one would disagree that schools need to provide a relatively 'boyish' culture if we're to engage boys in learning, especially in reading and writing.
    Where we might disagree with you is your theory that female teachers are incapable or unwilling to provide this.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ok I'll write it more simply.

Point 1: If a female dominated culture is detrimental to boys, as you suggest, then presumably a male dominated one is detrimental to girls? This would mean the school you mention must be causing a huge problem for the girls' learning and development and so is worrying.

Point 2: Encouraging injured players to continue is NOT a male quality, but is a serious problem. If this truly happened in the school and you saw it, then you should have reported it immediately. Players who are injured need medical attention and to deny them that is neglect and so child abuse. (However I suspect you don't actually mean injured)

Point 3: Using death scenes in literacy is not the work of a 'nutty supply teacher' but a part of normal classroom practice for many teachers of both genders. You cannot therefore use the incident to try to demonstrate the importance of male teachers.

I hope this is clear enough to show that I am simply disputing your conclusions based on the incidents you mention.

Your sexist remarks here and your rudeness will do nothing to aid your argument.

12. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I find, as a male ex teacher, that most if not all women teachers agree there needs to be more balance at least in schools. But we have created a society where many men fear going anywhere near kids, lest they will be labelled paedophiles. Add to that the whole way primary school has become more nurturing than teaching due to dumbing down, broken families and low academic standards - the job just does not appeal to ambitious men as it is (perceived as) a dead end job. Same here - I tried and was doing well, but the total lack of support for male ideals and even little things like planning meetings with ladies that went on for many hours more than they should as they gossiped and talked about babies.....no way, get me out of here!!!

13. Nick, congratulations in making the first valid point.

Of course women and men will always be able to relate to a child of the opposite sex and contribute towards a culture specific to their gender needs - to an extent. However, this is less likely to happen or be done as effectively if we always have a massive imbalance of teachers in terms of gender.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well that's a little bit sexist and anti-primary school ish. No baby talk in our staffroom - people are too busy working hard to ensure they "teach" children and attempt to raise academic standards.
    What male ideals were you pushing for?

15. Completely agree with all of your points Dumpty. I would go as far as saying that there's almost a hidden feminist culture in primary schools - as often exemplified on this forum.
    Yes, why should men risk being labelled a paedophile when they have a lot more inviting careers that encourage autonomy, ambition and creativity (the very things a primary classroom needs)?

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But in your first post you mention being a supply TA. I would suggest most primary schools teachers have the opportunity for far more 'autonomy, ambition, and creativity' than a supply TA.

If you dislike primary schools and their culture so much, then perhaps a different career path would suit you more.

17. Msz

I love how you are quoting your own words to make it look like people agree with you
    the very things found in many many primary classes

18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Women.

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I don't know what injuries the OP was thinking of but I do find myself frustrated by how wet children are these days, and it's encouraged in school. When I was a child if we fell over we wouldn't dream of even mentioning it to the teacher unless we'd broken something. Grazes and bruises were just a fact of life. I'm afraid I'm probably very curt when children come and show me the miniscule graze they've got and I certainly don't 'do' anything for it. But at school the smallest injury seems to need an ice pack and a half hour sit in the sectretay's office. I'm very sympathetic if a child has really hurt themselves but i don't think we do them any favours by encouraging them to think every tiny accident is worthy of a huge amount of attention.

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhh I agree Doitforfree, but the OP said 'injured' not 'bumped' or 'grazed'. An 'injured' child is one that needs medical attention. A slightly bumped child that isn't actually hurt at all, let alone 'injured' is usually encouraged to get on with it in many schools.

Midday staff in our schools are much more likely to be OTT with the ice packs and first aid than any teacher or TA. Amuses us all no end.