1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male Teacher - Paternity?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by deaytch, Nov 1, 2019.

1. deaytch

deaytch New commenter

Hi all,

As young (actually, not so young) adults my wife and I are thinking about our first child. One thing I can't get my head around is the way that shared paternity works... I've tried to read things online etc. but they aren't making too much sense.

I know that I get my first 2 weeks paternity paid, that's a given and that is fine! However, we have discussed this and ideally would like to do the following:

6-7 months (wife)
    2-3 months (me)

This may change but it's just an idea because she earns a lot more money than me as is a solicitor; and it's not like I don't bring anything back home but she is on possibly double my wage so would make sense for her to go back earlier (if well enough and wanted to - you never know any complications) so that we can benefit her wage.

My question is really, what am I entitled to? Do I get anything after the first two weeks of paternity if she "ends" hers early and goes back to work - I read something about 39 weeks, so if she took 6 months (24 weeks) and went back to work, would we (or I) receive any of the 15 weeks?

Thanks in advance!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Yes, you'd get ShPP (which is at the same flat rate as MA/SMP) for 15 weeks. (You'd need to be eligible, too, in terms of continuity of employment - so if you change job shortly before/during the pregnancy then you'd scupper it.) It looks like you can now take more than one separate block of SPL, which might enable you to go back onto full pay for any school holidays that fall in your bit. (I thought last time I'd looked that was only if the employer agreed, but it looks as if you are entitled to split it into three, and only need their agreement for more.)

bonxie likes this.
  3. deaytch

deaytch New commenter

Oh that's brilliant. Thanks a bunch for replying!