1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male teacher being forced to change Foundation/KS1 children

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, May 26, 2016.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I am a male PE teacher and have just started in a through school in the Middle East. The majority of my timetable is swimming.

I wasn't told this at interview, but I have now been told I have to be present in the changing rooms whilst F1/F2/Year 1 and Year 2 children get changed. There is a TA there, but the teacher goes back to classroom.

The changing takes around 15 minutes, the majority of this time the children are totally undressed, including girls (the boys and girls get changed together). They often come up and ask for help when they are only partly dressed.

In the current climate regards child protection and males I feel like I am being placed in a potentially very vulnerable position.

I have expressed my discomfort at being asked to do this and said it goes against everything I think should/shouldn't happen in this type of situation. I have basically been told to get on with it as there is no other solution (there is, but they won't do this)

Please tell me if I am being unreasonable

2. mikemcgreal

mikemcgreal New commenter

Hi there.

I have been teaching PE to this year group for years. As long as there is TA there you should be OK. Be present as close to the door as possible. Have a chat with the TA and let her know she is not to leave you alone. Encourage the kids to be as independent as possible and give a sticker to the best dresser of the day. I wont do tights or trouser buttons unless a TA is near and aware that I am doing it.
    I wouldn't except being on your own with the children however ,even for a second.

Your no being unreasonable just make sure sure you put a few safety measures in place.

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Thanks Mike,

There will be a TA, plus another female swim teacher. I don't do anything related to dressing them other than shoes and will not at all. I send them to the TA for anything else.

For me it is more to do with the fact they are completely undressed for a fair bit of time and it makes me feel uncomfortable being a male.

I feel so strongly abut this that, if I had known about it beforehand, I would not have accepted the job unless there had been assurances that someone else would do this. The fact that the school is in KSA - the home of Islam - makes me even more nervous. I don't think the parents are aware there are males doing this (there are 2 or 3 of us teaching the swimming to Foundation/KS1).

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

How's it going Stoppers?

Boys and girls changing together? In the Kingdom? I'm amazed that the parents haven't gone primate droppings about that

My lot go bananas if single sex change in front of each other instead of using the cubicles

We have aides in the changing rooms up to grade 4

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It's going pretty well so far - despite the above. Lots of opportunities to improve over the next couple of years.

Just a couple of things which I have found jaw droppingly surprising and an acceptance of these at all levels.

I don't think any of the Muslim parents are aware of the changing situation. Hopefully at some point they will be and things are forced to change. In my opinion it is bordering on perverse.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

BFG do you have male teachers in the girls changing rooms for swimming?

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

No and I'd get strung up if I did!

I have a female and a male PE teacher with each swimming class from Gr1 - 4 then it goes single sex with a teacher of the same sex from Gr5

PE teachers not involved in changing the students at all - an aide (female) in boys' and girls' changing rooms