1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male EYFS teacher supervising girls changing.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lawrencebuck2000, Nov 25, 2019.

1. lawrencebuck2000

lawrencebuck2000 New commenter

We have a situation at school where a parent has complained about the male EYFS teacher supervising the girls changing for PE.What is best practice please?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

obviously not that

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

This question really surprised me. I taught in EYFS for many years and obviously was with the children whilst they were getting changed for PE. I have looked at the NSPCC guidance and it almost suggests not being with them just available. I would consider that far riskier than being with them. I also remember in safeguarding training that this could well be a time when you notice unexplained bruises or injuries. I am a female but why should it be any different for a Male teacher. There are men working in private day nurseries. Following this way of thinking suggests that they could not be fully involved with nappy changing etc. Are we in danger of becoming too protective of children? Safeguarding is paramount but this just seems ridiculous to me.

5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

Unfortunately as a male EYFS teacher, you do come across incidents like this from time to time. I have come across them myself a few times in my career.
    He is doing his job and that's how it needs to be explained to the parent. It is about educating the parent and not making the male teacher feel like he is wrong. It is his job to support the children to dress themselves. Ensure he is not putting himself in any compromising instances and that there is another member of staff in the room at all times.
    Please don't send him out or say he can't do his job as it makes those parents win and continues the cycle of inequalities between sexes in the workplace.
    It's awkward but he needs the full support of school leaders. But obviously dealt with sensitively.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Don't seem to be able to quote but @TeacherMan19 seems spot on to me.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agreed. We need male practitioners in early years, they will have their DBS and support children in the same way as females.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I assume girls and boys change together in the classroom, so whichever teacher is there will be supervising children of the opposite sex. It doesn't matter if the teacher is male or female, both are trusted adults and will be perfectly safe with children changing, or, at least, the sex of the adult is no guarantee of safety or abuse.
    In EYFS the class will change together and males can certainly supervise both girls and boys changing!

PGCE_tutor, saluki and TeacherMan19 like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

Only if you'd do this for a female member of staff.
    We have small classes and so they are supervised by just one member of staff when changing. If that member of staff was male, it would look very odd to insist on a second adult.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  10. TeacherMan19

In every setting I was in, there has always been a TA as well. So I guess it's just been a given for me. Also, the world we live in, unfortunately hasn't adapted a to what we as early years practitioners see as the norm and as a male, I sometimes feel I can never be too careful. It's a sad world but it's the way it is.

saluki likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

If a female is usually alone then a male should usually be alone. If there is usually a TA for a male teacher, then there should be a TA for a female teacher. It would look odd to the children and parents to do otherwise and makes a nonsense of what we know the evidence to be.

ChaiLattePlease likes this.
  12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I recall a friend on teaching practice - the class she was assigned to had a male teacher, it was a mixed Year 5/6 class, boys and girls, and the teacher supervised all the children and they all got changed in the same classroom. How times have changed!

13. TeacherMan19

I'd love for this to be the case. But too many weirdos ruining it for the rest of us.