1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Male abortion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 9, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.rt.com/news/334720-legal-male-abortion-sweden/

It’s not just up to women to decide whether to have a baby or not, says the youth wing of Sweden’s Liberal Party. It has proposed granting expectant fathers the right to “legally abort” their unborn child up until the 18th week of pregnancy.
    “Men should have an equal right to opt out of parenting and choose whether or not to become a parent,” Marcus Nilsen, chairman of the party’s youth wing West (LUF) told the Swedish Aftonbladet newspaper.

This means that men are proposed to have the right to disclaim paternity until the 18th week of pregnancy, as long as it’s possible for a woman to undergo the abortion procedure.

The suggested “legal abortion,” if chosen, would be irreversible and require the father in question to renounce all parental rights and duties, including the right to see his child once it has been born, should the mother decide to keep it.

According to Nilsen, the original motion initially came from female members of LUF and was backed by the party wing. They believe there are many men who don’t dare to say they don’t want children, or suggest they wish to be excluded from parenthood when their partner becomes pregnant.

“There are endless examples of men who can’t even say whether they want to be involved in parenthood or how involved they want to be. It is important that men remain honest with themselves and their intentions. We see our proposal as a clear legal decision,” Nilsen said.

Well .. that's different...

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's a stupid name for a policy that has little to do with abortion.

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

What the heck happens if they change their mind down the line? What about the rights of the child to know its father? Not sure they have thought this through really. If men desperately don't want a baby, the safest thing is to not impregnate anyone - apart from the odd real accident, that isn't that difficult.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So are you against abortion full stop?

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think men having been doing this since time began but without any legal backing.

cissy3 and artboyusa like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

I thought the mention of women asking for this was interesting. It would remove all paternal rights as well as responsibilities which in the case of some fathers might seem like a good thing.

lanokia and InkyP like this.
  8. FrankWolley

Basically this group want to allow men to be able to blackmail women they've impregnated.... 'Have an abortion or l'll wash my hands of you and your child, including any financial support....'. Almost as unpleasant as their support for necrophilia....

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That's just dead boring

racroesus likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

:eek:

11. FrankWolley

Congratulations - I thought of repeating that old joke, but decided that was actually in too bad taste even for me.

But I knew someone would rise to the occasion (so to speak....o_O)

12. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I think it's a very serious conversation we do need to have with our sons as well as our daughters. The impact of a casual sexual relationship can be awful for both parties, and while I would never condone the behaviour of a lot of young men, I'm not so cold hearted that I don't feel genuine sympathy with (sometimes very young) boys who end up with a responsibility that they just aren't ready for if the girl decides to continue with the pregnancy or more unusually but not unheard of, some feelings of grief and guilt if the pregnancy is terminated against his wishes.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Now I've actually READ it.
    Oh.
    So nothing to do with abortion. More of a divorce really.

No. Take responsibility, lads. If you didn't wear a rubber then you can pay up.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same argument can be put to women getting an abortion though...

Not making a point, just saying.

badger_girl likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

Yes - both parties need to be financially liable.

16. grumpydogwoman

Well, as a bloke you don't get to make the decision about termination.

By not wearing the rubber you put yourself in the woman's hands. (Oh, shush!) She gets to choose what to do with the child. So, if you don't want either of those unenviable eventualities, just put a sock in it. On it.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye but that's what this proposal is trying to rectify... giving men at least a legal choice.

Of course the inevitable result of having that choice would be that the burden of care financially would fall on a single mother, which would increase the role of the state [in low paid situations].

18. grumpydogwoman

Hmmm, not quite sure what definition of 'liberal' entails a man inflicting a pregnancy termination on an unwilling woman.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

But the woman necessarily has financial costs (actual and loss of earnings etc) when she keeps the baby. Her expectation, where possible, should be to have some financial support from the father.
    This propsal from a rather nasty group in Sweden is to confront a newly pregnant woman with an ultimatum: abort of get no help in raising the child!
    If something like that ever became Law (and I doubt that it ever would), you'd simply have many women 'not realising' that they are pregnant until after the 18 week point!

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's not about forced abortion. It's about a man being able to say that if you don't abort (the man's preferred outcome) they will be legally free of any financial or other responsibility for the child that the woman chooses to give birth to.