1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Magi2012, Mar 11, 2012.

1. There have been several schools advertising for jobs in Malaysia recently; one seems to have been advertising for months.
    Any feedback on suitable schools for single females? Any to avoid?

2. There have been several schools advertising for jobs in Malaysia recently; one seems to have been advertising for months.
    Any feedback on suitable schools for single females? Any to avoid?

3. These Malaysia threads keep getting deleted, which I guess is down to the problems at one of the well known KL schools this year.
    From what I know, if you like gardening you'll be ok. Lots of people seem to love living in KL, for me though it's a tad on the hot sticky side.

4. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Lol I was told by one female teacher she was told "you won't find the man of your dreams" in KL'at interview. When I worked here before single expat female friends generally stayed single - local "comeptition" lol. Same in Bangkok btw it's a mans world in Asia (it seems a woman "who cooks well for her husband keeps him" - think 1930s)

Apart from that Malaysia is very safe for women - in many ways safer than the west.

Lots of new schools on Malaysia as laws changed recently to allow malaysians to attend "international" schools. In reality they are local private schools that teach in English as English widely spoken anyway. So it's boom town with schools opening like mad. Bound to bust one day so be careful to ask how many students a school really has. Some have none and some have too many....

5. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Hmm. Plenty of "western" women married to Malaysian men. Also plenty of blokes and geezers married to Malaysian non 1930s women. Not sure why a UK (presumably?) female would go to Asia to find the man of her dreams. Can understand the attraction for some blokes though. But to extrapolate wildly based on the situation in Bangkok, where equitable relationships between west and east, male and female are not encouraged (but certainly not forbidden) by cultural mores is a little dishonest.

6. My friend teaches at a school in KL - the one named after a lady - and loves it. She is a single female

7. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

Some of us are still advertising because we need staff and can't find the ones who fit our needs and expectations. We have lots of single females on the staff and they're enjoying the professional and personal lifestyle. That said, it's a muslim country so it's certainly easier to be male or married.
    Do your due diligence (ask "what is the ratio of Malaysian to expat teachers?") and you'll quickly identify the different tiers of school. However, teaching in a school with mostly Malaysian students and teachers is an experience that many enjoy and can be the most satisfying way of getting to know the country.
    Malaysians generally are open and welcoming. I've never regretted coming here.

8. I lived in KL as a single female for four years and LOVED it! Didn't find the man of my dreams, though...