1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Physallis, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hello! Just wondered if anyone had any idea about working or living in Malaysia? Never been and would love to hear any opinions! Thanks.

2. Hello! Just wondered if anyone had any idea about working or living in Malaysia? Never been and would love to hear any opinions! Thanks.

3. I am also looking into Malaysia, it is difficult to find anything negative so that is promising. It would appear there are some excellent schools but there is a lot of competition to get a job in one of the more established well paying schools.
    Anyone have advice about getting into one of the good schools, is it worth for instance taking a job elsewhere and applying again once resident in Malaysia?

4. Personally, for 1st job overseas I took an offer from an established mid-range school rather than risking a new school. It just was just a safer bet. Sure, it wasn't the best but I know from others it could have been far worse. With these new schools, they can be real risk and what counts for the 1st job is that you finish your contract and leave with good references. If you take a dodgy school and it doesn't work out, then your chances of a next job are slim. In fact you may end up going from bad school to worse.

5. Thanks Zokaya. That was my feeling too but I just wanted to check.

6. Hi, I know this is an old post but I thought I'd give it a try!

Basically I may have a job offer to teach iGCSE and Key Stage 3 History at R.E.A.L International School in Malaysia in the campus located in Shaha Alam.

The contract is 2 years and 5000RM per month with accommodation subsidised (1300RM)

I have no idea if this is a good salary, whether the school is accredited, an what the surrounding area is like.

Can anybody help me on this matter?

I would like to teach History abroad as an eventual career and I'm thinking this would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Not if you have a British (or equivalent) teaching qualification.