1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia Singapore and other SE Asian countries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pygmymarmoset, Jul 15, 2020.

1. pygmymarmoset

pygmymarmoset New commenter

I have heard these countries are still in lockdown. How are people managing to get access. I am considering applying to work in Malaysia but have heard that even if I can get in to work I may not be able to return home aand will not be allowed my family to visit for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of jobs around but what is the actual situation. If I come to Malaysia will I be locked into Malaysia and unable to leave or is this untrue.

2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

What do you mean by "locked into" Malaysia? You probably will have to quarantine on arrival. I have friends that have suddenly been given permission and issued tickets to fly from BKK to Singapore to start their new school. They will be in 14 day quarantine on arrival and Covid tested at the school's expense. No one I know is going back to their home countries this summer because there's no guarantees of being let back in and there's every guarantee that a 14 day quarantine will be required in a gov't approved hotel, at the person's expense. Oh, and everything could change in a heartbeat.

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

While I cannot specifically talk about the area, generally the idea of international travel is a gamble at the moment.

Travel windows open, but they could close very suddenly. So while you might find you can get into a country, there is no guarantee when the Christmas break comes (for example), that you'll be able to get out, or that your destination country will let you in. Remember that a second wave is expected around Christmas.

If going home and having family come out to you is important, you need to consider that it might not be possible until an effective vaccine is found and maybe delay your application.

4. pygmymarmoset

I mean that once I am in Malaysia that I will either have to stay there and be unable to leave or that I can leave but will not be able to get back in. These are the stories I am hearing. That the Malaysian borders are closed and if expats leave they can not get back in.

5. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Some suggest it will be the end of 2021 before travel is back to normal. I think Aug 10 has been proposed for reopening the land border between Singapore and Malaysia.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Not sure where you are now, but pretty much the whole planet is facing travel restrictions. Can non-citizens currently enter your country freely for work or tourism? Can non-citizen residents freely fly to their home countries and come back a week later with no barriers such as tests and isolation regimes? Can you, as a citizen, freely fly wherever you want for vacation? Even if yes, can you guarantee those answers will remain stable over the next year or two?
    We’re all in the same boat, more or less. Nothing special about Malaysia etc.

Ne11y likes this.
  7. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Regarding Malaysia, you can enter with a work visa. Once you enter Malaysia you need to stay in the country for 6 months to get residency status which reduces your tax rate. Having said that if you do get a job in the next few month you will not be flying anywhere anyway for atleast 6 months. By then hopefully 2021 we will have a vaccine. I will be heading to Malaysia end of this year and from what HR are telling me is that yes I can enter. Better to wait till next summer if you have concerns. Hope that helps.

8. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Then, as it stands now, yes.

9. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I think if you're already thinking of leaving and going home, maybe moving to teach internationally isn't the best move for you right now.

Ne11y, taiyah, gulfgolf and 1 other person like this.
  10. pygmymarmoset

I think this is a silly statement. It is fine to want to teach internationally and it is fine to consider how I will be able to see friends and family at home. Then I can weigh things up. Nothing cool about leaving the home countriy and completely isolating oneself without some thought.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  11. Booker_d

Booker_d New commenter

All the replies to the original question have been very reasonable, lots of good advice here. I think the OP already knows the answer to their question but perhaps didnt want to accept the reality of it. Understandably of course, so much has changed in the last 6 months that it is hard to believe sometimes.

From a different perspective, what about thinking of it this way. I am assuming you're from the UK so you're only going to go home once or twice a year anyway. The hardest part of international teaching, even before COVID, is being away from family and friends back home. With or without COVID you're going to miss births, birthdays, parties, engagements, weddings, illnesses, funerals etc. Regardless of COVID you're isolated anyway. However, I can guarantee you that you will meet new, amazing and lifelong friends in your new place too. There are so many social media platforms now that if anything I keep in touch with friends and family more now than I did when I lived a couple miles away from them for years back home.

Being stuck in Malaysia wouldn't exactly be a hardship It's a beautiful country with lots to do and nice people. As I recommend to everyone, if you get the opportunity to work or live abroad then seize it with both hands. If it turns out it's not for you then, even in these COVID times, you can easily go back home.

12. shazzamac

shazzamac New commenter

I didn't go home to family last year and planned a looooong trip this summer....that guess what...got cancelled. I'm pretty much restricted not only to China, but to Shanghai. Since when you travel your phone tracks you, and any second breakout, of which there have now been 2 in China, will turn your phone qr code red if you've been there. Cities go into quick lockdown, flights and trains cancelled. If not back at work due to a lockdown elsewhere in the country, or unable to get back, or in quarentine... No pay!
    For sure no-one is finding it easy...its now looking like 3 years before I get back, 2 years was going to be the longest ever in 25 years overseas - bad timing! Our whole staff is now spending 2 months finding things to do in Shanghai...could be worse! But it's not the home break we wanted. AND no-one thinks we'll be easily flying home before summer 2021 - quarentine, outrageous flight prices, closed borders etc etc.
    I know you're after Malaysia, but anything can happen anywhere and Asia has been more rapid and stricter with lockdown than Europe, still getting in or out of almost every country is very problematic. We have friends and colleagues who got stuck out of the country when China closed borders, and either are not being paid while their job is held or have been fired. We have others trying to leave and either can't, lose promised job, or are spending savings on extortionate flight prices. Unpredictability is the name of the game right now. If you don't think you can handle the fact that literally anything could happen, don't leave home, or don't go out of Europe.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  13. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

Malaysian minister has explicitly said that foreigners who leave the country won't be able to return. Once you're out, thats it. I find it somewhat ridiculous reading other forums with foreigners who are complaining about this.. the Malaysian government has managed to keep the COVID numbers here very low and are being cautious with the reopening of everything. Obviously, they're not going to just allow freedom of movement or an influx of people in and risk a second outbreak. If you're here, best to just suck it up and find new places in country to visit. If you wish to come here, be prepared not to leave for at least 1 to 2 years. But as mentioned by another poster, Malaysia is a great place to be

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/...ates-foreign-nationals-allowed-leave-malaysia