1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia school salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by minipixie1, Feb 21, 2020.

1. minipixie1

minipixie1 New commenter

Hi, can anybody give me an indication of packages expected at one of the more expensive schools in Kota Damansara? Family of four, non teaching spouse.

2. minipixie1

minipixie1 New commenter

Actually not sure if its more expensive...now Ive looked at school fees

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

22 to 28k (housing inc but no responsibility allowances). Central KL and Mont Kiara

Lesser decent schools 17-22 - out of central KL

14-16 budget schools.

minipixie1 likes this.
  4. minipixie1

minipixie1 New commenter

Thank you

5. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

This is no where near correct. I knew a teacher who worked in the school you mention and they were earning like 8-10k a month, I know a few other schools that are paying expats around 10k a month not including allowances without responsibilities. Some of the bigger schools are paying around 20k a month but those are they're not in the majority. I know that the one in Putrajaya is one of the better payers whilst the non profit is regarded as probably the best school in all round terms for working/salaries etc. The 17-22k limit is your upper limit, 10-16 is about average for most schools in KL and then the smaller/newer places will offer sub 10k. The minimum schools have to pay foreigners to work in schools is 5k a month so please don't look at an offer and think you're getting underpaid because you're not being offered as much as stated above.

minipixie1 and gulfgolf like this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Hero is correct.

7. welsh-warrior91

welsh-warrior91 New commenter

I have been offered a job in KL in a secondary school that pays 20,000RM including housing allowance. That is for a HoD role. The HoD responsibility pay is 13,500RM a year extra (which I felt was low) which brings my overall salary to 20,000 before tax.

What do you think about that for a single guy?

Cheers

8. shakes1616

shakes1616 Occasional commenter

Do you mean the basic pay is just 6500 RM then without the HOD responsibility? Who in their right mind would work for such a lowly sum?

9. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Nemo is correct at the top end. High 20s is available. I'd call 14-16k an ok school, with budget schools getting away with 12k max and sometimes a fair bit less.

10. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

It's more about if you're happy with it. It's not about being paid the most. Its about how far the money goes and what it means within the context of a country.

So, would you be happy earning that?

11. welsh-warrior91

Apologies. I wasn’t clear.... the HoD responsibility is 13,500RM for the year and it’s a 200,000RM salary for the year plus a 3.500 housing allowance... Therefore 20,000RM a month inc housing allowance before tax.

12. welsh-warrior91

Precisely. So my question should have been how far will my money go in KL on that salary.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  13. shakes1616

shakes1616 Occasional commenter

That is better. I would take it if I were you. I was in KL a few years back and I think a Burger King meal was about 10 or 12 MYR in the central train station. I would think you are laughing on that salary myself but it depends how much tax they will take off.

welsh-warrior91 likes this.
  14. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I have attached the tax brackets for your salary when you get your residents visa. Before that you're paying emergency tax of approximately 36%. Every income you get is taxed. Search other Malaysia TES thread for tax info.

When you get your residents visa...

After tax you'll take home between 14,800 - 15,600 RM per month, all approximates. Minus rent, depending how you want to live your life, 2500-4500RM per month. You can easily live and travel off the rest of your salary.

You can also still save 5700-7000 RM per month which is between £1000-1200 per month. This of course can be higher or lower. It all depends if you decide to bling yourself and your fridge up.

Attached Files:

15. sully007

sully007 New commenter

That is a fantastic salary. Currently in Malaysia and my dependents can survive on less than that.

Use this website https://payroll.my/ to calculate what your salary will look for the first academic year, as taiyah said you'll be on an emergency tax. It will also calculate what you'll earn after you're considered a resident.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

As for the emergency tax rate, if you follow all the rules, you get a refund on much of that once you've been living there long enough. The rules are strict, but possible.

17. welsh-warrior91

Thats really helpful, thank you. I thought the emergency tax code was 28% - have i been mistaken? Once I receive residents visa does my tax rate go down to 13%?

Thank you again!

18. aa424

aa424 New commenter

It’s the non-residents tax rate that is 28%, although this was increased to 30% in January. Once you become a tax resident (after fulfilling certain criteria) your rate drops, on a scale depending on how much you earn e.g x% on the first x amount of ringgit, then x% on the next x amount of ringgit.

19. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

You are correct 38% emergency tax may well be too high. But that is what I was charged. I got a good chunk of it back.

13% tax, no that's too low. Use the table I gave you to calculate your tax.

Good luck with it all.

20. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay New commenter

The table you sent says the 1st 50-70k earned is at 14%, after that it shoots up to 21% from 70 - 100k and then 24% after that. Using https://www.imoney.my/calculator/income-tax-calcular, OP's tax bill for the year will be 34,420. Divided by 12 = Rm2868/month - around about 14/15% of salary per in tax per month.

Edit: Pretty sure my 'back of a fag packet math' is correct but happy to be shown to be incorrect since I cant count

Source:
    Tax Bill Malaysia.jpg