1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia in Autumn '19

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pete72, Jul 2, 2018.

1. pete72

pete72 New commenter

Hello

I am a newbie on here. We are planning to teach overseas in Autumn 2019. I am currently an EY Leader ( has a nursery, taking from 2YO and 1 form entry reception) and my wife is a head of a school ( in a medium sized middles school). We 'think' we would quite like to teach in Malaysia but are open to suggestions about surrounding countries too. Our 18 YO daughter wants to take a gap year with us. How easy will it be for her to get a job? Are any countries a no - go for her? Could she get a job in the school too? We have earmarked a couple of schools in KL - do we just target them and send our CVs in September or wait for them to advertise? Are there any issues with teaching couples? Any help would be appreciated....

2. amariB

amariB New commenter

To answer a few of your questions- I’m in Malaysia as part of a teaching couple. No issues at all with teaching couples, in some cases they are preferred. We found it hard to find a place with jobs for both of us, but that was because due to personal circumstances we were jobhunting late in the season. You should be fine if you start early.

Not sure about your daughter- I imagine she would be on a dependent visa which I believe doesn’t allow you to work. A TA job or similar at the school could be a possibility I suppose, then she could get a work visa, although finding 3 jobs in the same place could be tricky.

Malaysia is great but don’t rule out the rest to SE Asia. Schools will start advertising around September- I got my job on TES but join Search Associates too- start early cause registration takes a while. Good luck!

pete72 likes this.
  3. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

There is plenty of voluntary work that your daughter could get involved in, from working with refugee children to environmental work - I don't know about paid work on whatever visa she would have through you, but if both of you are working then you'll have plenty of money to support your daughter if she's willing to do volunteering. My non-teaching husband was initially unsure how he'd feel about not having a job out here, but we're living off my salary and he is volunteering in a refugee school, which he finds very rewarding. We feel that it's a privilege to be able to manage on one salary and for one of us to be able to do voluntary work, as we'd always wanted to do something like this but couldn't have afforded to live on one salary in the UK.
    If you want any more info about Malaysia, PM me - we really like it out here!

pete72 likes this.
  4. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Volunteer work requires a work permit in Malaysia but isnt enforced that often but can be when the polis are at the end of an expensive month eg end of Ramadan when many laws suddenly become enforceable by "on the spot cash fines".

Paid work requires a degree but one option is to study. A student visa allows 20 hours work a week. She could enroll at a local private Uni quite cheaply. Say Monash or HELP or even start a degree the prestigious Nottingham University. She could do a short diploma course from anything from engineering to bakery. Make friends learn a new skill and work 20 hours a week on the side. Would be a great experience and if she liked Malaysia can study there cheaper than say UK for a full degree.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

The top schools will advertise from August/September so just keep checking their websites and TES, Search etc.

In Malaysia she will only be able to get a tourist visa for 3 months but you could apply for a dependents visa once you get a job - the school should be able to advise on this. If she wants a gap year maybe she could look into TEFL work in Vietnam, Thailand etc - all within a couple of hours flight time from Malaysia (and very cheap to get to).

6. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Hello Pete72
    I'm 10 days off finishing a 2 year contract in KL (or what turned out to be the 'burbs of KL) having worked in Slough, then Doha, then Muscat previously. I love the laid back, ethnically diverse religious culture of SE Asia compared to the conservatism of the Middle East and the Gulf. The natural beauty of Malaysia is truly amazing - I've explored 130 million year old rain forests and learned to scuba dive in some gorgeous tropical waters. Shame the locals don't value their resources as they should, but hey...the incredible, apocryphal thunderstorms are like nothing I've ever experienced and the humidity is - for me - beyond unpleasant. However, the students I have taught are incomparable - studious, polite and with a work ethic never before encountered! My school, and personal circumstances, have encouraged me to move on...however in a different organisation and a different situation I would definitely stay longer - I haven't dived in enough gin clear, coral-bright seas yet :) Good luck!