1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Malaysia/Asia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Jokiwi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Greetings

We are looking at moving from the Middle East to Malaysia/Asia. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of the best place to head for with a family. Im looking at a Primary position.

I have re read plenty of forums but couldnt find any recent advice.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

2. Greetings

We are looking at moving from the Middle East to Malaysia/Asia. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of the best place to head for with a family. Im looking at a Primary position.

I have re read plenty of forums but couldnt find any recent advice.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

3. Hi! I'm moving there in January and there was some advice on a thread called 'Kuala Lumper with family'. Have a look. I won't give you any because I'm not there yet but like you I'm uprooting my family to move there. Consensus seems to be that Kuala Lumpur is a good place. Good Luck!

chinyinmei

4. Thanks for that, we are slowly starting to shift back to our side of the world so KL or Singas seem like good options.[​IMG]

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Hmmm, to be honest I think it is an employer's market place out there. One needs to keep one's options open and see who is prepared to give you an opportunity. Any major city is likely to offer options that would suit a family. Besides someone who would enjoy Korea may hate Singapore, and someone hankering for Thailand may find Malaysia preferable; all depends on your particular likes and needs and the characteristics of each country/city and situation.

6. Buttles

Buttles New commenter

Agree with HappyGreenFrog - we gets hundreds, hundreds and even more hundreds of CV's a week from desperate teachers in the UK, US and Canada.
    Some are even willing to work for free on job placements.
    We are thinking of putting an age cap on applicants of 29 - just like Logan's Run.

7. There's lots of international schools in KL. There's been a boom in them and more are on the way. I work at the British School. Life in KL is good, weather nice and plenty of amenities and things going on. KL is very westernised and a little like home-from-home depending on which part you live in. There's a huge expat community and locals are very friendly too. Just beware that if you move here before getting a job you will be offered a local salary and contract, i.e. no benefits and half the pay. Get a job first with all the expat benefits such as medical, housing and flight allowances - which are standard, before coming. Also just a quick tip - Malaysia although cheap for a lot of things, is equally very expensive for others. Alcohol and cars are very highly priced!!!

8. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Jesus! That is one scary post.
    No wonder it took me about 50 applications to get myself fixed up back in Indonesia.

9. Desperate....I wouldnt say Im desperate but I am older than 29 and just feel the call to move a little bit closer to down under now. I love my school in Dubai but I would just be moving for geographic reasons.
    Interesting thoughts though, so thank you.
    It must be CV overload for employers at times, scary!

Cheers[​IMG]

10. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

It does depend somewhat on subject and quality of the teacher. A good QTS science teacher especially physics or chemistry will find plenty of jobs with patience a primary school teacher needs to learn to beg (basically same as in UK). Also where is important as easier to get a job anywhere especially China but if you are country specific it all depends on right place right time. Jobs come up last minute in shortage subjects as teachers don't turn up. In easy to fill jobs they go quickly