1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making writing make sense?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I wonder if you can be of any help?
    I am currently levelling the recent work my class have written. A handful of them have written pieces that hardly make any sense to the reader.... just ramblings of sentences with no punctuation going on and on.... Has anyone got any ideas of activities that I can do with a group of children about getting their sentences to make more sense? Not really grammatical as such (was, were etc) more really with putting punctuation in for the reader rather than going and............and............and......
    They are year 3 and 4 by the way.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

How about getting them to edit each other's work - they can be teacher or editor. Encourage them though to be supportive and not make fun of other's mistakes. They might start to spot the mistakes in other children's writing more easily than in their own - hopefully they then might apply what they've discovered when writing again themselves. Just a thought.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Google Talk for Writing. Get them to explore a story, a story which ties in with their topic, and go over it day by day until they know the story off by heart. Then get them to create a map of the story, then stick to this map to formulate their writing. Help them along by modelling loads of text from the story, including the sentence structure. Anyway. Talk for Writing is definitely what you need! (23.03 Saturday, quited ****** actually.....)