1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making up teaching time during the summer holidays.

Discussion in 'Independent' started by pinktuss, Mar 27, 2020.

1. pinktuss

pinktuss New commenter

I have accepted a job in a privately owned small school, due to start after Easter.

I've spoken with one of the teachers from the school today and she has told me that it's likely that they will be making up the days that they are closed during the summer holidays as they are having extra / early holiday now! (Quite possibly the worst 'holiday' ever!)

I've got summer holidays booked (whether they happen or not now!) And obviously my own school aged children will be at home during the summer holidays and I have no childcare for them. I'm really concerned about this!

Is this being suggested elsewhere?

Thanks all x

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope but we are talking about 'furlough' for some or most staff, for varying lengths of time.
    Not sure what is worse to be honest.

3. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Interesting one. I have heard something of this mooted by disgruntled parents in the state sector - feeling that teachers shouldnt be let off lightly with additional holiday and all the usual stuff they go on about as teachers have such a cushy job and all those holidays etc. etc.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I don't think there is any risk of this happening. Teachers will need a break, holidays will have been booked by teachers and parents (and everyone will be desperate to go on them if poss), and imagine how awful the Autumn term will be if there is no summer holiday first - it's hard enough as it is! I'll be very surprised if that happens.

5. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I guess a lot will depend on when exams for current year 11 and year 13 who are unhappy with their calculated grades will be. If in September then I wouldn’t be surprised if we are asked to come in to provide revision support in August. I can’t imagine we would take the whole school back in early though.

6. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I can think of people in every staffroom I have worked in who would start stories like this without any basis. Unless it has come from the top I wouldn't pay it much attention.