1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making up hours when school closed

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by welshmercury, Jan 15, 2020.

1. welshmercury

welshmercury New commenter

Our school is closed for 3 inset at end of summer term and we have to make the hours up in after school activities.
    I’ve found out part timers don’t have to do all the after school activities. We are closed mon-wed so if you only work those days you are being paid for those days but not having to make the hours up.

Does anyone know anything about part time working as I thought if the inset was on a day you work then you had to appear. It appears unfair on FT teachers.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't think it is any of your business or has anything to do with you.

if you are unhappy about your own working conditions, take up your own working conditions with your line manager, not anyone elses.

sabrinakat and Morninglover like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Do you mean that on 3 of the 195 days a year the school will not actually be open at all and the Inset you would have done on those 3 days you are doing as twilight sessions on some the other 192 days? That isn't "making the time up", that's just scheduling your directed time.

If so, and if you are all on STPCD conditions, then the rule in STPCD isn't quite what you say. STPCD says that if you are part time you have to attend all meetings, INSET, on days you normally work if the meetings/INSET take place take place during normal school session times.

An unintended consequence of moving the INSET to twilight sessions is that that that requirement no longer applies. Instead the twilight sessions will fall within the other rule for part timers, that they only have to attend meetings, INSET , etc outside normal school session times proportionate to their part time proportion (over the year as a whole). As long as those meetings/INSET aren't on days they don't normally work and that they do not exceed their directed time limit.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Is this right? Surely no-one can be compelled to work on a day that are not contracted to work? Especially if this is because the SLT has decided to move the INSET day from whole days to twilight sessions.

When I was on SLT there was a proposal to move one day - the HT said we would if 100% of the staff agreed. They didn't (a handful opposed it), so we stuck to the one day (a Monday after term had finished the previous Friday).

5. Rott Weiler

I thought that's what I'd said? "As long as those meetings/INSET aren't on days they don't normally work..."

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Maybe the number of negatives confused me!

7. Rott Weiler

Mea culpa. Your suggestion would improve my English... "As long as those meetings/INSET are on days they normally work...". :)

I blame it on reading too many statutory regulations. Government lawyers have a penchant for double negatives....

Morninglover likes this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If they normally work Mon-Wed, and the INSET activities have all been organised for Thursdays, then they can't be expected to do them. I imagine that nobody would see it as unreasonable if the school said to them, in that circumstance, that they should do some independent professional development activity instead. For all you know, that's what has happened.

You might also want to get uppity about anyone coming back from maternity leave, who won't have worked those three days either.

However usually it's best just to concentrate on your own contract.

strawbs likes this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I worked part time for several years. I went to everything on my contracted working days and nothing on my non- working days unless it was a) beneficial to me and I wanted to go, b) I got paid, or c) had time off in lieu. Part timers often end up working more than their contracted hours anyway.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    twitterbix and Morninglover like this.
  10. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

we solve this issue in a way asimilar to what @frustum suggests:
    Yes, we expect that if the closure days were Mon-Wed, and The PTimer works those days they should attend the twilights (disaggregated rtaining), subject to the usual caveat for PTimers about their overall DT not exceeding their proportionate %age.
    However, they clearly cannot attend if they do not work on those days. Where possible, we offer "catch up" training sessions or repeat on a different day of the week. Part of our PD is at the choice of the individual anyway, so the PTimer could do more of this individual work than any "whole school" sessions anyway to fulfil their obligated hours..

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is true that if the closure days were Monday to Wednesday but the INSET is transferred to Thursdays when the PT teacher does not work, then STPCD says they do not need to attend them. The school could direct the PT teacher to so something extra on the days they do work, but may not. However, PT teachers don't always do well out of the current system, such as where time is trapped by after school meetings when they work in the morning but not in the afternoon. STPCD isn't always fair on them. So, if a PT teacher actually benefits from the rules, why not just accept it? As has been pointed out, as long as we are treated fairly, we should not complain if somebody else gets a bit of luck.