1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making time for our own young children ...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ROLLING, Apr 30, 2012.

1. You are not alone. I returned to part time teaching in September and since then both my children have been in hospital, one has had a really bad time with his asthma.
    I saw the light last week when my son was rushed to hospital and one of my first thoughts was- how am i going to contact work? and a host of other teaching related things,
    At the moment my children need me- but my mind is(like yours) often on teaching/planning and other people's children.
    Have no idea what i am going to do but juggling both a family and teaching is too tricky for me at the moment- even though i do really love teaching.

2. Hi
    My LO is only 9 months old, I returned to work when he was 6months - I found it hard at first but now I have decided I get all of my school work done at school; anything that does not get done just does not get done - nobody thanks you for slogging your guts out, it can be done tomorrow. I use my dinner hours more carefully now and instead of sitting talking I use it to get work done/set up for the next day and I always try to leave by 4.30pm at the latest (apart from staff meeting night)If I do have to bring anything home at all (mainly marking) I only do it when he has gone to bed about 8ish. I know this is a bit of a pain and can take over your night but I try not to do it more than twice a week.
    On a weekend I try to do my work while he is having a nap (not often) or my hubby takes him out for a bit on a Sunday so I can get work done.
    I think you have to put things into perspective - what is more important? And what are you going to look back on in years to come and regret not doing; the washing up or spending time with your child? It is really tough though.
    x

3. I'd love to go part time ... or better still, stop teaching altogether while I have a young family. Unfortunately, money is important to pay the bills and all the other things we need money for. I do also love my job - I am very fortunate to work in a school that I love. It is a challenging environment at times (special school for children with ASD) but tonight I was really left thinking long and hard ... that is until I started my planning!!
    Perhaps I am looking for an answer that doesnt exist!

4. sazzlebean

sazzlebean New commenter

This is the first time I have logged into the TES forum page since becoming a mother over 4 years ago (I used to be on here a lot before children!) and your post was the first I read and I feel compelled to answer. I teach part-time with children and I have exactly the same thoughts as you, you are not alone! Every night I go to bed telling myself I will be a better mother tomorrow and spend more time playing with the chn and not every spare minute checking for emails, messages etc from colleagues but every day I still do it. One of my own children starts school in Sept and I am so conscious that my time with her is slipping away, yet I will leave her to play on countless occasions whilst I slip away to do this and that. I get cross when they don't fall asleep on time as it disrupts my strict evening routine where every minute counts.To me part-time is so hard, physical time in school is less but mentally my mind is there all the time (including those precious moments) as I want to feel I am on top of what is going on, be involved in decision making etc and not be viewed as "just a part-timer". I think, in essence this is what I have to be able to accept and just let it go - teaching, for the moment is my job (and I do prioritise my class teaching to the detriment of all other 'responsibilities') but my children are my world.
    I too would be interested in peoples thoughts.

5. It is such a relief to read that others are feeling the same as I do. It is a challenge juggling all the different hats I wear on a daily basis. I have rule that I do not work when my children are awake and so far this system is working with the help of a cleaner, online shooping and a slow cooker - granted it make for some late nights. Like others, I try to use my lunch break usefully, although saying that - that is becoming more of a becoming more of a challenge as others need my time and understanding what is essential and a priority in my long list of jobs. I am very lucky as I am supported by a fantastic TA, he is ready and willing to undertake any task. I am honing the skills of saying No and delegating to others - this is more of a challenge!
    But I absolutely make sure every second I spend with my children is quality time and I make the holidays and weekends all about the children whilst they still need me and think I am the best mum ever!

6. ... Its such a relief to know I am not alone. I think it is this time of year - asessments, reports, annual reviews and ofsted hanging over us too as they're likely to phone anytime. The workload has really hit a peak!
    You lovely lot have really reassured me that my feelings and the position I find myself in are not unusual but also that with some determined effort (and some late nights) that it is possible to be a super mum and super teacher too!
    I already work through my breaks to be more efficient with normal every day tasks but as I said, this time of year is just particularly busy and I think I just temporarily lost touch with what is really important in my life under the strain of it all.
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond :)

7. My daughter is 6 donjee, I had her later in my life and I have to say every minute of all of it has been brilliant. It has made me less egocentrically focussed on work and more sympathetic to those who before I thought maye unable to keep up the pace.
    I find myself advising parents at meetings wherever I hear that trace of anxiety (many are now younger than me which helps) to not worry, to not rush things, to not be negative and to enjoy the stage their child is at now. 'Thye are only 6,7,8,9 etc once in their -and your- life, once gone it will not come back, they will go forward and all you will have are your memories, so fill them up.
    Homework, school work, government dictats will ebb and flow and in years to come will not matter - your child always will be part of your life. Try to live the moments they bring as fully as you can, through their eyes and senses we can refresh awareness and reveal a clarity of purpose - from the heart'.

8. Aww, I really like your post. Makes lots of sense and given me some good things to say to parents too! Thanks x

9. Thank you for your lovely and totally sensible message.
    I feel guilty that I haven't thought this clearly in the past.
    Thanks again.