1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the trasition from state to independent

Discussion in 'Independent' started by happy_workaholic, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Congratulations!
    Enjoy your new job.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent news!
    Now pop over to the JobSeekers Forum and start a thread called Dear Theo - I got the job! and see what happens . . .

3. charlieeh

charlieeh New commenter

Elsie Teacher wrote:
    "the state system does not recognise the years spent in the private sector, should you wish to return (Your payscale will be frozen;)"

Seriously?! I am a PGCE student and recently got a job in an independent school. They offered me a starting salary of M3 on their school's payscale, which is around £28,000, and it rises each year. But if I decide to move into the state sector after a few years, does this mean that I'll have to start at M1 of the state school payscale?! I've accepted the job, and the school looks fab and I'm really excited, but would just like to know where I stand in the future if things do not work out!!
    Thanks!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not necessarily so at all.
    I have had teachers leave my indy school clutching the documentation to go through the threshold, and doing so.
    What will not necessarily be recognised is any threshold or upper payscale that you moved to in your indy school; so you´ll quite often have to go through their hoops once you go back to the state sector.
    The state school will, in the last resort, pay you what it needs to pay you (and can afford) to get you.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump this up for new posters

6. Wile7

Wile7 New commenter

And again another 'bump' BTTT on me. An excellent and informative thread...

7. Dear Theo,

8. Dear Theo,
    In light of your encouraging advice about moving from state to independent, how about state secondary to independent prep? I'm a PGCE qualified English teacher with 7 years of state secondary experience and in my 3rd year of EFL teaching. I'd like to teach KS2/KS3 year groups but I'm not sure my qualifications will be suitable? I'm considering an MA but I'd really value your advice.

9. apologies for the mispost...I am a newbie and the new line/enter key doesn't appear to work!

10. I'm an NQT, currently without a job so doing supply for the time being but looking for a full time job. There is a maternity KS2 cover at the local Girl's High which is part of the GDST. I really want to go for the job but my qualms are a) will I be able to handle the pressure for results b) is it a smooth move as a first job or not as it is likely that I'd end up returning to the state sector at the end of the maternity cover unless another job came up. Any advice? I have worked in private schools as a TA and supply teacher before my degree but this was abroad not in the UK!

11. Thanks for that advice - I've applied for the job. I have lots of extra curricular to offer which goes down well with private schools from what I've heard. On advice from a friend who works at the private school next door I have not visited the school prior to applying, apparently round here that is not the done thing with independent schools (apart from one). I hope I made the right decision with that and it won't affect my application!

12. The range of independent schools is enormous: as it is in the state sector. At the very top are the household names, including the Clarendon Group. Only most talented and highly achieving staff will be interviewed in mainstream subjects in these schools (many universities would love to have such staff) and many of the pupils have special needs in that they require stimulation and stretching that only academically brilliant teachers can deliver. Many of these schools do not even teach A-levels - the Cambridge Pre-U is much harder and is often judged to be more appropriate.

In the middle ground are schools which are thriving with a strong regional identities and many have excellent A-level and GCSE results. Teaching is often better organised in such establishments since they take in a wider range of ability. These schools are similar to the top hundred or so state comprehensives and are likely to be found in the same leafy suburbs.

At the bottom end are some struggling independent schools - and teaching in these brings different challenges again.

But no independent school provides the financial security of the state sector because they do not have the blanket support of strong unions or local authorities.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But some of them have multi-million pound foundations . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

14. my partner is considering applying for a job in an indp school after 3 years in a rough inner city comp. He hayes the fact that there is so much crowd control and social work and loves his a-level classes where kids are eager to learn etc. He works til very late most nights trying to plan and prepare lessons to 'entertain/engage' them in french & spanish (most of them have never been outside the city, never mind abroad) He's just very dissatisfied in general.
    The biggest doubt he has about working in an indy school is the workload and extra curricular expectations. We have a young family and does not want our boys nor I to suffer. He feels that if a move meant that we would see even less of us, that he would prefer to stay where he is - albeit unhappy.
    What is a typical day/week like? half of the boys board.
    (btw I am an ast in a state primary school so I am familiar with working in education and know what is expected/involved in state sector)
    Thanks