1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the transition to Primary from Secondary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by abicottingham, Jun 26, 2018.

1. abicottingham

abicottingham New commenter

Hi all,

I am hoping to make the shift to Primary at some point in the near future, and wondered if anyone might be kind enough to share their experiences if they have done this?

I wondered if anyone could help me answer some of the following questions:
    Where to look in terms of the process? (Council websites/ Teaching Union)
    Is there a 'best way' to gain Primary teaching experience; perhaps at a supply level?
    I have a Secondary PGCE with QTS (have passed my NQT Year also); do I need any further qualifications?
    Do Primary Schools accept applicants in my situation?
    Is it actually possible?

Thanks so much in advance!

Abi

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Yes it is, I am one amongst many that's done it. Start with some supply work to get a feel for it, it's very different. There used to be re-training courses available, but it may be worth finding a local primary and asking to volunteer/shadow someone for a few weeks. It will really give you a flavour for it and a relevant reference.

Once you have QTS you can teach across all Key Stages, just get some experience in and give it a go