1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Making the transition from secondary to primary...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by apmcarthur, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I have been thinking about my career a lot recently... And I've been drawn in a huge way towards primary teaching.

I have a computing degree and completed a 11-19 PGCE.

Is it possible for me to move towards primary and if so - How?

Sorry to trouble you folks with this... I rarely post... But so many people offer such great advice I thought I'd ask.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have been thinking about my career a lot recently... And I've been drawn in a huge way towards primary teaching.

I have a computing degree and completed a 11-19 PGCE.

Is it possible for me to move towards primary and if so - How?

Sorry to trouble you folks with this... I rarely post... But so many people offer such great advice I thought I'd ask.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is possible in the sense you are qualified.

However the reality is that it will be nearly impossible in practice because there are already far, far too many primary teachers for the number of posts.

You will need to convince a prospective HT that you are a better candidate than a primary trained, and possibly experienced teacher. Also that you can teach the entire curriculum, including literacy, maths, PE, art and so on. That you have a good understanding of the teaching of phonics in KS1 and how this relates to spelling in KS2.

Think carefully. A HT is faced with two applicants. One is primary trained and has the same number of years experience as you, but in a primary school. The other candidate is you. Who would you give the post to? If you can hand on heart see that it would be you then get applying...if not them you are probably better off staying where you are.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Technically with a PGCE you are qualfied to teach any age range so in theory all you would need to do is apply for a primary post and get it. But that is where the problem would arise, how would you persuade a recruitment panel that you were the most suitable applicant when you would be up against hundreds of primary trained and possibly experienced teachers? I'm not sure whether you have actually taught Secondary or are still to complete an NQT year. If you have already taught in secondary you have the added disadvantage of also being more expensive than primary NQT's.
    So if you are serious about teaching in primary you need to do several things
    1) find out what it is REALLY like! Volunteer or try to spend some time in a primary school-and not just having a look round but working with groups of children, talking to them and the staff, finding out what actually life is like in a primary school
    2) get some experience, if possible try to find some supply work to get your toe in the door. If you are already working in a secondary, try to do some transition work

3) apply for as many posts as possible-try PPA cover work if there is any around, work as a TA if you can afford it,
    but be aware that the competition wil be fierce!

5. Hello,I can't really add anything that minnieminx hasn't already said! Of course it's worth you looking into it if it's where your interest lies,and perhaps getting some primary experience,but there have been several posts like yours in recent times and the general consensus is that there are too few jobs around. Have a look through. . . You might also want to look at the unemployed teachers section. However,you may get lucky-right place at right time etc,so good luck!